Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

How do i remove my name from a residential lease

I am on a residential lease in California with a now ex-girlfriend and I need to remove my name from the lease. She does not want to break the lease and I don't want to be responsible if she does down the road. I never did live in/on the property in question.

DearCustomer- This is a private contract between you and the landlord and unless the landlord agrees to take your name off the lease I'm afraid you will be responsible until the term expires.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is there a letter/template I could follow in writing to him requesting my name be removed from the lease?

Not really. You are signed on the lease and I can't think of why he would release any security he might have by having your name on the document. You certainly can write him and simply ask that he remove you from the lease. He probably won't agree but you can ask. He may want you to pay him some amount to remove you but I can't say for sure. So long as the lease payments are being made you really aren't hurt by any of this and when the lease expires you'll be off the hook.

If your ex quits paying and you get sued you can, at that point, sue her for the damages to you. That's about all the advice I can give you. In the future be very careful what financial deals you get involved with as situations like this can become very painful.

Dave Kennett