Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler, Researcher/Law Student
Experience:  A year away from my J.D. and I've handled my own legal issues involving the business I own for years
707400

IS MAKING EXCESSIVE PHONE CALLS TO SOMEONE CONSIDERED ...

Customer Question

IS MAKING EXCESSIVE PHONE CALLS TO SOMEONE CONSIDERED HARRASSMENT OR STALKING?
WHAT CONSTITUTES STALKING?
Expert:  Matt Kesler replied 9 years ago.
Stalking harassment includes the willful and malicious behavior directed at a specific person over a period of time that frightens and causes that person significant emotional distress.

If these excessive phone calls would qualify as a willful attempt to frighten the person or cause the person significant distress then it could be considered harassment.

Stalking generally would include some form of excessive seeking out of a person. For instance, let's say you change your phone number to avoid the harassment and the person manages to find your new number and call you there. Or, you begin ignoring the calls and the person begins showing up places you are or harassing you over e-mail/letters this would then cross the line into stalking.

Both stalking and harassment are legal abuses and, if you believe this qualifies, never hesitate to contact local law enforcement and find out if there is anything they can do to help end the harassment.