truthfinder
truthfinder, Truth Finder
Experience:  I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!
4257669

CAN a felon possess a BlackPowder rifle in Missouri

Customer Question

CAN a felon possess a blackpowder rifle in Missouri. Be very specific as laws in Kansas, NewYork, Texas, etc.,etc. are different.
Expert:  truthfinder replied 7 years ago.

Actually the laws concerning the sale to a felon or a felon having any type of firearm or body armor is a US law and is over-ridden by any state law and that states that a felon can not be in possession of any such firearm. You can go HERE and click on Chapter 44: FIREARMS to read the US codes on this & HERE reading under the section BACKGROUND CHECKS & STATUS RESTRICTIONS which states that no "firearm" may be sold, delivered, or transferred to a felon; read HERE as well.

To directly answer your question, go HERE to read the laws for your state and HERE for more information.

If you need further assistance, please contact me with additional information or questions. Good luck & God bless!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to truthfinder's Post: This answer was not entirely correct of incorrect. The law (MO) clearly define that a firearm which fires rim fire or cenertfire ammunition is illegal for a felon to possess. A firearm which was made prior to 1890 or is a replica of such antquity (flintlock, percussion, wheelelock,etc)are not considered as illiegal/
Federal law says The term "firearm" means (A) any weapon (including a starter
    gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to
    expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or
    receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm
    silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include
    an antique firearm.C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle
      loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black
      powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For
      purposes of this subparagraph, the term "antique firearm" shall
      not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or
      receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading
      weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily
      converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt,
      breechblock, or any combination thereof

That is the concise and accurate answer to this question.

So, as I stated, it is illegal for a felon to possess it by federal standards, but you asked what the law stated and that is what I gave you...the law. Your interpretation it is up to you and thus why I simply answered your question by giving you the law you requested. If you have further questions as to the specifics, I suggest contact the ATF personally. As we can not give legal advice but can advise you of the law, which is what you asked for, the specific law, I was happy to supply you with the answer to your question.Thank you for using Just Answer and I am glad I was able to provide you with the information you asked for; the law on the issue.

If you want to go further and pursue possession of it you may be able to get it by the federal statues if you want to try...read HERE, but I can not and do not recommend it.

I hope this helps to further answer your concerns about the answer.

Have a blessed week!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You showed me the law that I could have gone to the Public Library and looked up for FREE! You sir did not..did not...did not provide an answer to my question I asked you. Had I contacted ATF they would have said yes or no. That answer would have possibly ben followed with a statement of what the laws say.
Not, "Here is where you can find it so look it up yourself".
I will not pay for an answer to a question I asked and was not answered.

God Bess you and Better luck researchong YOUR answer next time.

Gary L Wyatt
Expert:  4ren6 replied 7 years ago.

The question sir/ma'am is speculative. Some states do indeed forbid black powder. The Federal regs have to be read close as well.

The actual answer to the question at this point and we all know it (so no need to accept mine) is that in Missouri the laws are such that one can. Some states are specific in their statutes and will be clear on black powder.

http://www.semissourian.com/story.html%24rec=128006

I was simpling answer the question you asked and you stated that you wanted it to be specif to the law of Missouri so therefore that is what I gave you. Accept or not is your choice but I did the research, answered your question, and still you are unsatisfied. If you wanted to go to the library then you should have, most answer on this site can be answered by those simple means but the customer come here and pay us to do that work for them, as I did for you. I am sorry you are not pleased, but you asked a question and I answered that question and as you can see from the other expert, you got the answer by means of the Federal Statue, the State Statute, and the way that felons bend the law for themselves in the Newspaper article....3 sources of answers to your question and even though the Federal Statue says no and the States want to say no, the laws are too unclear for them to prosecute as they want to as seen in the newspaper article. I apologize that everyone's time was wasted for nothing as it seems no one was satisfied here. I answered your question and gave you specifics to both sides...Yes and No.....I could do no more than I did and I am sorry you were unable to get the answer you desired, whatever that was exactly. I was not trying to offend you or sound unprofessional, I was just stating that you wanted an answer and you got 3, your choice not to pay is your right and you are not charged until you accept; so you have lost no money here. God bless!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You need to read the following from USA Code Title18.Chapter44,Section921.3(D):Section 921 Definitions 921.3(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
921.16 The term "antique firearm" means -
        (A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock,
      flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system)
      manufactured in or before 1898; or
        (B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if
      such replica -
          (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or
        conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
          (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition
        which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which
        is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial
        trade; or
In case you don't know Blackpowder rifles are Percussion cap or Flintlock as described in section 16(A)(B) listed above.

Here was your answer to my quaestion:"To directly answer your question, go HERE to read the laws for your state and HERE for more information."

So you did not read this part of my answer:

"Actually the laws concerning the sale to a felon or a felon having any type of firearm or body armor is a US law and is over-ridden by any state law and that states that a felon can not be in possession of any such firearm. You can go HERE and click on Chapter 44: FIREARMS to read the US codes on this & HERE reading under the section BACKGROUND CHECKS & STATUS RESTRICTIONS which states that no "firearm" may be sold, delivered, or transferred to a felon; read HERE as well."

Are you saying that you did not get your answer from any of the information I sent? As it seems you did for you are pulling from those sites.......

Not even from the additional info I sent below:

"So, as I stated, it is illegal for a felon to possess it by federal standards, but you asked what the law stated and that is what I gave you...the law. Your interpretation it is up to you and thus why I simply answered your question by giving you the law you requested. If you have further questions as to the specifics, I suggest contact the ATF personally. As we can not give legal advice but can advise you of the law, which is what you asked for, the specific law, I was happy to supply you with the answer to your question.Thank you for using Just Answer and I am glad I was able to provide you with the information you asked for; the law on the issue.

If you want to go further and pursue possession of it you may be able to get it by the federal statues if you want to try...read HERE, but I can not and do not recommend it."

Well, you got your answer some where in the midst of my postings so at least you got what you came here for, that's what we do here, we answer questions. Smiletitle="Smile" width="18" height="18"/>

Have a wonderful week and thanks for using JUST ANSWER!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got my answer but not from the Expert I asked it of.

God Bless and Good Bye