P-Leagle
P-Leagle, Paralegal
Experience:  A.A. Paralegal Studies Experience in Real Estate,Internet Law,Contracts,Tax & Biz Startup,DUI
3302986

how do you get rid of a bench warrant and how long can ...

how do you get rid of a bench warrant and how long can they stay on your record? my daughter lives in florida and is involved in a legal battle with her ex husband who claims she didn't send the kidss for thanksgiving but in her legal papers the friends of the court stated that her ex-husband must send her thirty dollars to take the children to the airport if he wanted her to do so no money was sent so she figured he was picking them up in florida . when the kids didn't arrive he took her to court and in the pass all court cases were overthe phone. she hired a michigan lawyer , who told her not to come to mich. as it could be handled over court. because see caalled at court time instead of going to court the judge asked the ex-husband what he wanted and he stated he wanted a bench order for her arrest whuch the judge ordered
Expert:  P-Leagle replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

how do you get rid of a bench warrant and how long can they stay on your record?

A bench warrant literally means a person is summoned to appear before a judge (bench).

You state the judge ordered this, so the only real way to handle this is to appear. You can go to court and appear or follow the instructions if you have the warrant.

The way to get rid of the warrant is to also appear. It may or may not stay on your record depending on if a judge ruled a "failure to appear" (FTP) previously. FTPs will stay on your record, but are not against you normally unless future problems with the law occur.

The major problem you have is that if a any police officer, agent, etc, apprehends the person with a bench warrant, say like a vehicle stop, the officer can take that person into custody and force the person to appear before the 'bench." If this happens on a weekend, that might mean jail time.

Best thing to do in this situation is to "appear" the best way you know how, either by going to the county court, the police station, or as instructed on the warrant.

Should you require further clarification, please never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify the answer to your question. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

If you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer, please press the GREEN ACCEPT button. Feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Responses and comments on Just Answer! are for general information and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (such as medical, legal, investment or accounting, or tax) and do not establish a professional-client relationship. Just Answer! is not intended or designed to address EMERGENCY QUESTIONS which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service. Any information given by me is not offered as, nor is it intended to be, considered legal advice in any way, shape, or form, and shall be treated as procedural information only. Per Cal. Bus. and Prof. Code § 6450 et. al., Paralegals or Legal Assistants cannot give legal advice. The information herein is not exhaustive. You should always seek legal counsel from a licensed attorney in your state.

P-Leagle, Paralegal
Experience: A.A. Paralegal Studies Experience in Real Estate,Internet Law,Contracts,Tax & Biz Startup,DUI