Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, International HR Consultant
Experience:  GPHR cer BS, U.S.C. Pueblo; Immigration Law by Am. Mngmnt Association & USCIS Bus. Liaison ofc 1999

does the medical exam include a drug test

Customer Question

for the greencard do you have to take a drug test?
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Dear Alil2000,

The medical exam does not include a drug test.

Physical examination: Applicants are required to have a physical examination (to include complete disrobing), and a mental status evaluation

Tuberculin (TB) skin test: All applicants two years of age and older are required to have a Tuberculin skin test (TST)

Serologic (blood) test: All applicants 15 years of age and older are required to have serologic (blood) tests for HIV and for syphilis. Applicants under age 15 can be tested for HIV or syphilis if there is reason to suspect the possibility of infection. Civil Surgeons and Panel Physicians are required to provide pre-test counseling to all applicants who take the HIV test. If you are found to have HIV infection, the Civil Surgeon must provide you with post-test counseling

Vaccinations: Most applicants need to show that they are current with all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. public health officials

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
for greencard?

Dear Ali,

Yes, for the green card, that is what we are talking about, right?

The only way that someone would know if you were or had done drugs on the physical exam, since it is not tested for as parat of teh screening, is if you showed som aborhant signs and symptoms, and the doctor needed to diagnose the condition.

Then secondarily, as a result of diagnosinig symptomology observed during the physical exam, a phycisian could report that you are suffering from a named sign, symptom, or disease secondary to overdose, drug use, etc or a specific drug.

However drug testing as a screening devise is not used during the medical exam for immigration purposes.

In fact, most physicals are, in my estimation, very cursory, and it is rare that anything other than a communicable or active disease is reported.