Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

what is the legal age of consensual sex in Indiana ...

what is the legal age of consensual sex in Indiana between two men?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
The age of consent for Indiana between homosexual males is 16.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lawyer, Broker 's Post: so it is legal for a male adult to have consensual sex with a 17 year old male?
Thank you for your response.

The age of consent is between minors of similar age as the statutory assault crimes restrict any adult person from age 18 and up to engage in a relationship with a minor. Further, in Indiana it provides the following:

It is illegal for adults in a supervisory position of a minor aged 16 and 17
to have consensual sex with them. The crime called "felony child seduction"
, a Class D felony, carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a
$10,000 fine.

Supervisory position could be anyone who has adult authority over a minor child.

Further, you can be criminally liable for any of the following acts; regardless if you are homosexual or not:

IC 35-42-4
Chapter 4. Sex Crimes

IC 35-42-4-3
Child molesting
Sec. 3. (a) A person who, with a child under fourteen (14) years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct commits child molesting, a Class B felony. However, the offense is a Class A felony if:
(1) it is committed by a person at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
(2) it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force or while armed with a deadly weapon;
(3) it results in serious bodily injury; or
(4) the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
(b) A person who, with a child under fourteen (14) years of age, performs or submits to any fondling or touching, of either the child or the older person, with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the older person, commits child molesting, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class A felony if:
(1) it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force;
(2) it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon; or
(3) the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
(c) It is a defense that the accused person reasonably believed that the child was sixteen (16) years of age or older at the time of the conduct.

IC 35-42-4-4
Child exploitation; possession of child pornography; violation classification; exemption; definitions
Sec. 4. (a) As used in this section:
"Disseminate" means to transfer possession for free or for a consideration.
"Matter" has the same meaning as in IC 35-49-1-3.

"Performance" has the same meaning as in IC 35-49-1-7.
"Sexual conduct" means sexual intercourse, deviate sexual conduct, exhibition of the uncovered genitals intended to satisfy or arouse the sexual desires of any person, sado-masochistic abuse, sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct with an animal, or any fondling or touching of a child by another person or of another person by a child intended to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the other person.
(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) manages, produces, sponsors, presents, exhibits, photographs, films, videotapes, or creates a digitized image of any performance or incident that includes sexual conduct by a child under eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) disseminates, exhibits to another person, offers to disseminate or exhibit to another person, or sends or brings into Indiana for dissemination or exhibition matter that depicts or describes sexual conduct by a child under eighteen (18) years of age; or
(3) makes available to another person a computer, knowing that the computer's fixed drive or peripheral device contains matter that depicts or describes sexual conduct by a child less than eighteen (18) years of age;
commits child exploitation, a Class C felony.
(c) A person who knowingly or intentionally possesses:
(1) a picture;
(2) a drawing;
(3) a photograph;
(4) a negative image;
(5) undeveloped film;
(6) a motion picture;
(7) a videotape;
(8) a digitized image; or
(9) any pictorial representation;
that depicts or describes sexual conduct by a child who is less than sixteen (16) years of age or appears to be less than sixteen (16) years of age, and that lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value commits possession of child pornography, a Class D felony.
(d) Subsections (b) and (c) do not apply to a bona fide school, museum, or public library that qualifies for certain property tax exemptions under IC 6-1.1-10, or to an employee of such a school, museum, or public library acting within the scope of the employee's employment when the possession of the listed materials are for legitimate scientific or educational purposes.

IC 35-42-4-5 Vicarious sexual gratification; sexual conduct in presence of a minor

Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or older who knowingly or intentionally directs, aids, induces, or causes a child under the age of sixteen (16) to touch or fondle himself or another child under the age of sixteen (16) with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of a child or the older person commits vicarious sexual gratification, a Class D felony. However, the offense is:
(1) a Class C felony if a child involved in the offense is under the age of fourteen (14);
(2) a Class B felony if:
(A) the offense is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force or while armed with a deadly weapon; or
(B) the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge; and
(3) a Class A felony if it results in serious bodily injury.
(b) A person eighteen (18) years of age or older who knowingly or intentionally directs, aids, induces, or causes a child under the age of sixteen (16) to:
(1) engage in sexual intercourse with another child under sixteen (16) years of age;
(2) engage in sexual conduct with an animal other than a human being; or
(3) engage in deviate sexual conduct with another person;
with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of a child or the older person commits vicarious sexual gratification, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if any child involved in the offense is less than fourteen (14) years of age, and it is a Class A felony if the offense is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force, if it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon, if it results in serious bodily injury, or if the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
(c) A person eighteen (18) years of age or older who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) engages in sexual intercourse;
(2) engages in deviate sexual conduct; or
(3) touches or fondles the person's own body;
in the presence of a child less than fourteen (14) years of age with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of the child or the older person commits performing sexual conduct in the presence of a minor, a Class D felony.
As added by P.L.183-1984, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.79-1994, SEC.13; P.L.31-1998, SEC.6; P.L.118-2002, SEC.1; P.L.123-2003, SEC.1.

IC 35-42-4-6
Child solicitation
Sec. 6. (a) As used in this section, "solicit" means to command, authorize, urge, incite, request, or advise an individual:
(1) in person;
(2) by telephone;
(3) in writing;
(4) by using a computer network (as defined in IC 35-43-2-3(a));
(5) by advertisement of any kind; or
(6) by any other means;
to perform an act described in subsection (b) or (c).
(b) A person eighteen (18) years of age or older who knowingly or intentionally solicits a child under fourteen (14) years of age, or an individual the person believes to be a child under fourteen (14) years of age, to engage in:
(1) sexual intercourse;
(2) deviate sexual conduct; or
(3) any fondling or touching intended to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the older person;
commits child solicitation, a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class C felony if it is committed by using a computer network (as defined in IC 35-43-2-3(a)).
(c) A person at least twenty-one (21) years of age who knowingly or intentionally solicits a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, or an individual the person believes to be a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, to engage in:
(1) sexual intercourse;
(2) deviate sexual conduct; or
(d) In a prosecution under this section, including a prosecution for attempted solicitation, the state is not required to prove that the person solicited the child to engage in an act described in subsection (b) or (c) at some immediate time.

IC 35-42-4-9
Sexual misconduct with a minor
Sec. 9. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class C felony. However, the offense is:
(1) a Class B felony if it is committed by a person at least twenty-one (21) years of age; and
(2) a Class A felony if it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force, if it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon, if it results in serious bodily injury, or if the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
(b) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to any fondling or touching, of either the child or the older person, with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the older person, commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class D felony. However, the offense is:
(1) a Class C felony if it is committed by a person at least twenty-one (21) years of age; and
(2) a Class B felony if it is committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force, while armed with a deadly weapon, or if the commission of the offense is facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge.
(c) It is a defense that the accused person reasonably believed that the child was at least sixteen (16) years of age at the time of the conduct. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).
(d) It is a defense that the child is or has ever been married. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).

Please note that I will be in and out of the office today. If you have further questions, please post them and I will reply as soon as I return. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lawyer, Broker 's Post: So even if the 17 year old male provides his approval, would it be illegal to have consensual sex with an adult (>21) male who is a friend (not in a supervisory role)?
If the conduct is not in any violation of the statutes above (for a sex offense) and you are not infact in a supervisory role (this could mean a person of authority over the minor), then the age of consent allows a minor 17 years of age to engage in a sexual relationship with an adult less than 21. As you can read from the statutes the law provides for different ages(of the adult) depending on the circumstances. So if this young man were to change his mind after the fact or lie, the adult can be criminally responsible if it fits one of those offenses above. The law above applies equally to all gender preferences.

The adult male is advised to wait until the young man is a legal adult, for the protection of the adult.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator