truthfinder
truthfinder, Truth Finder
Experience:  I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!
4257669

I wrote a quit claim deed and had it notarized to a ...

I wrote a quit claim deed and had it notarized to a property I own in Clark County, Nevada in 1999 or 2000. This was done in Richmond County, Georgia but I never had it filed. Can this quit claim deed still be filed or is there an expiration date that would have taken place to have it filed? I never had this quit claim deed filed because I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave this property to my daughter. I put the quit claim deed in my box of papers. I have reason to believe my daughter stole it. I am very estranged from her. I am now in Las Vegas and want to quit claim deed the property to my son but at the Legal Forms office here they said unless there was an expiration date for the notary public who witnessed the paper back in 1999 or 2000 that my daughter could use the old quit claim deed to supersede any new one I write and file now for my son? Is this true?    Was there a time limit in 1999 and 2000 that the quit claim deed needed to be filed? Is it now null and void?
Expert:  truthfinder replied 7 years ago.

The first thing I suggest is to contact the Recorder's Office where you think the deed may have been filed to verify if it has been or not. Ask them to do a Title search on the property to find who's name it is in and if there is an other deed on file for that property. The Quit Claim deed must be filed in the county where the property is located. You may be able to find this online with Clark County HERE. For contact info on the office click HERE. The online way she could have filed the Quit Claim Deed would have been faxing it to the Clark County Recorder's Office or taking it there herself. SHe could not file the deed in GA as the property is in NV. One problem you may face is that the first Quit Claim Deed, it it were filed in Clark County, would be the legal document the court would honor first, whether you filed it or not. You do have a possible recourse of filing a Quiet Title Action claim against that one being filed by stating tat you never personally filed it; this would Quiet her claim to the property. To find out for sure, search the records to see if the original was filed as they have no expiration date unless it is noted on the claim as a special provision....the whole point of a Quit Claim is to revoke your rights to the property now and in the future.

If you need further assistance, please contact me with additional information or questions. Good luck & God bless!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told in the Nevada legal forms office that whether that old quit claim deed would stay valid depended on if there was a expiry date on the notary public's signature. For instance, in Nevada now her signature is only good for 4 years and then the notary's stamp will expire and if you haven't filed your claim by then, then it is invalid.

What I specifically need to know is in the years 1999 and 2000 was there an expiration time for the notary who notarized my quit claim? Please find this out for me because I believe if there was that it makes the quit claim deed null and void. At least that is what I gathered from the clerks in the Nevada Legal Forms office. Deborah Watkins

I am not sure who you spoke with, but if that were true, then ALL the Recorder's Office would be able to do is renew Quit Claim Deeds; they don't have the time or manpower to do that. Once a Quit Claim Deed is filed, it does not expire, UNLESS there is a special provision included on the deed that says otherwise. If you want to confirm this call the Recorder's Office at(NNN) NNN-NNNN(I called to verify this and was told what I have already stated to you that it does NOT expire). As long as the notary's commission was valid on the date of the signing of the Deed, then it is still valid. The only way you could have this rescinded, is from the means mentioned before. Verifying whether the original quit claim was filed or not is the only way to see if you new quit claim will be valid; again, it must have been filed in the county where the property is located, not in GA.

I hope this has helped clear this up for you, but I strongly suggest contacting the office yourself to see if the deed was ever even filed as well as doing a Title search on the property.

Good luck & God bless!

truthfinder, Truth Finder
Experience: I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!