Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

at what age in new york state can a child leave home as ...

at what age in new york state can a child leave home as long as they have a stable environment ro go to?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Unless the child is emancipated (by court decree, married or enlisted in the military) a child cannot leave home without the parent's consent until they are a legal adult (age of majority for this issue is 18).

Further, without a court order granting a change in custody to another caretaker for the minor child, the parent may remain liable for any risk of harm which may come to the child, as the parent is legally responsibility until the child is an adult or emancipated.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.