truthfinder
truthfinder, Truth Finder
Experience:  I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!
4257669

I bought a leopard coat off of ebay(vintage,circa 1940)in ...

I bought a leopard coat off of ebay(vintage,circa 1940)in November.I got a call the other day from a game warden in Philadelphia,asking if I had bought a leopard coat on ebay,and I said yes, and he said it was illegal,and to send it back and he would have the owners pay me back.I had my secretary box it up and Fed-Ex it.The game warden called 2 days later and said to send the coat,I said I did ,he said that is not the right coat andthat he was trying to not prosecute or fine anyone(in a snotty tone)but the coat I sent was not even Leopard,probably Ocelot.It turns out my secretary sent the wrong coat.Is it my fault that I bought a leopard coat on ebay.Does the game warden have the right to charge me? I bought a leopard cape on ebay 2 years ago(which I did not mention to him)and there was no problem.I was of the understanding that as long as the coat,cape,rugs,(I also bought 2 leopard rugs on ebay that were from the '30s)were made before leopards became endangered,it is O.K.What to do?
Expert:  truthfinder replied 7 years ago.

is the only option available for old leopard, ocelot, sea otter and monkey coats and any other fur that's currently considered endangered or threatened. In general, IT IS ILLEGAL TO BUY OR SELL GARMENTS MADE FROM ENDANGERED SPECIES, EVEN IF THEY ARE OLD AND USED.

Kennedy-era leopard coats have regained popularity on the used fur market right now, but beware: in the U.S., if you are caught knowingly selling them in a transaction that crosses state lines, you could be punished with FIVE YEARS IN PRISON and a $250,000 FINE. If you are a business or organization, the maximum fine doubles.

No wonder no reputable furrier deals in endangered species today.

That goes for any garment made from furs listed on the Endangered Species Act, even if the garment was originally purchased before the law went into effect in 1970. If you are not sure if your garment is made from fur bearing animals now considered endangered, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at or check out the list at the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) aThe majority of countries in the world are signatories to CITES, which means the U.S. isn't the only country to outlaw the sale of such coats. To find a list of countries that comply with the CITES treaty, go to

According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, if you can prove that your leopard or ocelot or other such coat was purchased before the law went into effect in 1970, it is legal to sell it within your own state, but it cannot cross state lines. That means, if you have held onto the original receipt from pre-1970 (in a shoe box somewhere?), you could probably sell it to someone within your own state. But, if you're selling it at a flea market in Manhattan, for example, and the purchaser travels from New Jersey or Connecticut to buy it, you're breaking the law. If you're selling it online to someone in another state, you're breaking the law.

In case that's not enough of a deterrent, some state laws are stricter about selling endangered species than the federal laws.

Just don't do it.

So, according to this, it IS illegal because you bought it out of state. I suggest that you comply with the request of the game warden and send him te coat he asked for. I hope this helps! If you need further help, please fell free to contact me.

truthfinder, Truth Finder
Experience: I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!