CJShanna3
CJShanna3, Private Investigator
Experience:  Over 7years extensive Criminal Justice educ.Extensive Priv.Sec background
3576046

I recieved a summons on 4/7/07 for 2c 33-17a ...

Customer Question

I recieved a summons on 4/7/07 for 2c 33-17a (providing alcoholic beverages to underage juveniles) I did not purchase the alcohol it was brought by said juveniles to my residence. Am i legally liable for this summons? I am an 18 year old student in highschool. when they came to the house there was nothing going on i was home alone. They didnt find any evidence of alcohol at my residence. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  CJShanna3 replied 9 years ago.

Hello there. I understand your frustration in this matter. The law is a tricky thing to understand at times. Not knowing the exact situation, you did mention these underage people brought their own alcohol. This is enough to serve you with the summons---if they found evidence or not---all it takes is for one of them to go home to mom or dad and say, "so and so gave us alcohol" or something to that effect. Next, there could have been more charges such as contributing to the delinquincy of a minor, consuming alcohol underage (if indeed you were drinking as well because you too are under the legal age limit)--consuming is a separate charge than providing. So, as hard as it may seem to believe, it could have been a worse situation. The problem you face is as an adult, it was your responsibility the moment they walked in with alcohol, being underage, to have them either throw it out or make them leave----this makes you liable. There is no real way to prove that you did not provide it unless you can subpoena them to testify in court that you did not provide it (make sure they will actually testify to this before doing subpoenas). A case like this may be difficult for the prosecution to prove. Depending on the circumstances behind everything (for example, if someone was injured as a result of this alcohol--this would be harder to defend). If you can afford a lawyer, please retain one as soon as possible. If you can not afford one, just be prepared and be confidant when you walk into the courtroom. Let the judge know exactly what you said here, they provided their own alcohol. Though this may not get you off the hook, there is not much more you can do than to tell the truth. It sounds to me like a shaky case so I would certainly advise fighting this. Just to reiterate my answer to your question, yes, this can happen regardless of if you actually provided it or not---do not mistake though being charged with being found guilty. I have pasted a website below for you to view that will explain each charge in regard to this as well as the possible penalties. Good luck to you and I hope this helps--CJShanna3

PLEASE CLICK **ACCEPT**BELOW.FEEDBACK AND BONUS ALWAYS APPRECIATED. THANKS.

Click on link below for further information:

http://www.fightunderagedrinking.org/state_prof/NewJersey.pdf