Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

In the state of florida is there a grace period to cancel a ...

In the state of florida is there a grace period to cancel a contract . the contract was for the service of an attorney.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately no. The only contracts which you can cancel in Florida are those dealing with home solicitation service contracts. As you have entered into a legally binding enforceable agreement you cannot terminate the contract without possible lawsuit of the other side. You always have the option to ask to be released from the contract, but you might be required to pay some sum of money for the release. You will need to negotiate this with your attorney. Further read the terms of your agreement as that will inform you if you can cancel the contract with or without penalty.

You can read about the cooling off period for Florida here.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lawyer, Broker 's Post: i clicked on the site that took me to the page from the fl.atty. general that says " In florida, if you contract for services to be rendered in the future on a continuing basis, you are entitled to a three day cooling-off period. My daughter did just that. retained an attorney to setle a matter that a court date hasn't even been set for yet. since signing his behavior, or lack of has changed her oppinion of him. The signing took place Wed. 4/04 and 3 buisness days would give us until tomorrow, Monday 4/09 to cancel, and if Good Friday is not consisdered a buisness day, the we would have until Tues. Would you kindly reflect on this.
Thank you for your reply.

I believe your daughter has grounds to cancel the contract under the cooling off period as my understanding of the Florida cooling off period provides that contracts which cannot be rendered in the future can be cancelled. I state this is my personal belief as I have never experienced this with a contract for attorney services and my understanding of your Florida rules is that such cooling off period pertains to home solicitation and other sale service contracts. But I must agree with you that said website does provide grounds to terminate contracts that are impossible to be performed in the future.

There is no law which states Good Friday is not a business day, so at the latest Monday is the last day to cancel. Have your daughter read the terms of her contract, that should also provide information to cancel. I would also try to contact the consumer protection office of the Attorney General from the website I gave you for specific clarification pertaining to attorney contracts.