Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.
3560666

Audio recording workplace conversations

What is the law in New Jersey as it pertains to audio recording conversations of staff in the workplace (with/without their knowledge)?

You may only record employees in the workplace or on the telephone if they are advised in advance that recording is occurring. A posting that recording devices are being used would be helpful. Moreover, the recording may only occur in locations where there is not an expectation of privacy. For example, a bathroom would likely be an area where there is an expectation of privacy.

If you record a conversation between two people and you are not involved in that conversation, it is a criminal offense unless the parties are aware of the recording.

Please click ACCEPT below.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What about listening devices? Can they legally listen to conversations from another location if they are not recording? (I believe one of these situations exist in my workplace.)

No. You cannot listen in to a conversation with two other people unless they are advised that the surveillance is occurring either through policy notifications or signs.

Please click ACCEPT below.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you.