NOT LEGAL ADVICE!
NOT LEGAL ADVICE!, FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY
Experience:  Information provided is for entertainment puposes only and is NOT legal advice.
3076777

what is the law on runaways in ohio

if a 17 year old ran away in ohio could they be put in a juvenile detention center by there parents or can their parents only report them missing

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

If you know the location of the minor in Ohio, you can contact the local authorities and have him/her returned according to the Interstate Compact for Juveniles (ICJ). The youth is also eligible to be placed into a juvenile detention center if they have runaway from another state or jurisdiction.

"The parent, guardian, person or agency entitled to legal custody of the juvenile who has run away without consent, must petition the court in the home state which has the juvenile jurisdiction for issuing a requisition for the youth's return. Form A (Petition to Return a Runaway) is an optional form. It can be used for guidance as to substance only and a regular court petition may be substituted. The petition shall state the juvenile's name, date of birth, the status of the juvenile's custody, the circumstances of his/her running away, the location of the juvenile, if known at the time application is made, and such other facts as may tend to show that the juvenile who has run away is endangering his/her own welfare or the welfare of others. The petitioner shall sign the affidavit in the presence of a notary public, with the notary affixing the seal/stamp required by the home state's law. The petition shall be executed in triplicate and shall be accompanied by three certified copies of the document(s) on which the petitioner's entitlement to the juvenile's custody is based, such as birth certificate, letters of guardianship or custody decrees."

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=3&ch=117&rl=17

http://www.juvenilelaw.org/Articles/2006/Annual/Bonner.pdf

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
POSITIVE FEEDBACK is appreciated and reciprocated.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.

Hello niceguy,

I saw that your locale was Texas and assumed that the child had runaway from that state to Ohio.

To answer your question for an Ohio runaway,according to the Juvenile court system, the minor's classification would be a "status offender / unruly child."

"A child under 18 years of age who will not subject himself/herself to the reasonable control of parents, guardians, teachers or custodians. This includes children who run away from home, truant themselves from school, violate curfew, or violate a law that applies only to children."

If the police pick up the child for being a runaway, they could initiate the proceedings described in the following link:

http://www.ottawacountyjuvenilecourt.com/del-unruly.htm

"Following adjudication, the Court decides what action will be taken with the Juvenile. For an example, the Juvenile may be placed in the Juvenile Detention Center, placed on in-home detention, placed on probation or ordered to participate in services."

In short, the parents have more options than simply listing the child as missing.
I hope this helps!

Hello niceguy,

I hope this helps!