Michelle, Paralegal
Experience:  31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law

How many hours can a part-time employee work, and be ...

How many hours can a part-time employee work, and be considered full time for benefits? This would be an employee of a large corporation. I had understood it was 32,but our company says one must work 37 hours a week to recieve any benefits at all.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

The US Labor Board states :

How many hours is full-time employment? How many hours is part-time employment?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not define full-time employment or part-time employment. This is a matter generally to be determined by the employer. Whether an employee is considered full-time or part-time does not change the application of the FLSA.

Accordingly, whatever your company has established - however, there is legislation pending in the US Congress that would require any employer of 15 or more to provide benefits such as sick days and health care.

If my answer has been helpful, Please ACCEPT. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated, as is a Bonus. Thank you ~ Michelle