Experience:  Information provided is for entertainment puposes only and is NOT legal advice.

what are the long term effects of a restraining order if no

what are the long term effects of a temporary (or permanent) restraining order if no violation has occured?

For instance if I deciede to place a TRO on my ex-boyfiend, will it be on MY record? For how long?
If my ex-boyfriend puts a tro on me and it is not violated, does it remain on my record? For how long?
Thank You

Hello and welcome.

If you place a TRO on your ex-boyfriend, it will not be on your record.

If your ex-boyfriend places a TRO on you, it will remain until you go to court to decide whether a permanent restraining order will be granted. If the permanent restraining order is granted, it will remain in effect indefinitely unless your ex-boyfriend petitions the court to have it removed.

In the absence of a violation, the long term consequences are minimal (unless you are in a specialized field such as law enforcement or the military). However, if you violate the restraining order, you could be arrested.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
is appreciated and reciprocated.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jen Sterling's Post: sounds good, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX more clarification before "accept" What do you mean by minimal? (I am not law or military)

You are not obligated to report the restraining order on applications for employment or rentals, for example. As long as you "stay on the right side of the law," so to speak, there would be no reason that anyone outside of those involved would need to know that you had a restraining order on you.