Michelle
Michelle, Paralegal
Experience:  31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law
3273316

Has the law been passed for inmates to do 65% of their ...

Has the law been passed for inmates to do 65% of their sentence been passed yet for the state of virginia?
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 years ago.

Dear TS

Virgina abolished Parole in 2004, I believe. Although not sure of the exact year, I do know that it was abolished, therefore making it a Truth-In-Sentencing state - meaning inmates must serve at least 65 percent of their sentence

Expert:  Michelle replied 7 years ago.

Dear TS

Virgina abolished Parole in 1998; therefore, making it a Truth-In-Sentencing state - meaning inmates must serve at least 65 percent of their sentence. VA is listed with the DOJ as TIS state. However, any inmate sentenced before the abolition of Parole is entitled to a Parole hearing - keep in mind that Parole is right and not a privilege so there are no guarantees for approval.

The definition of truth in sentencing varies among the states, as do the percentages of time to be served. The states that met the federal standard for truth-in-sentencing in 1998 were:

Arizona
California
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia
Washington

Most state truth-in-sentencing laws are targeted at convicted violent offenders. Florida, Mississippi and Ohio require all offenders to serve a substantial portion of their sentences before release. Four states (Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska and Texas) have a 50 percent requirement, three states (Idaho, Nevada and New Hampshire) have a 100 percent requirement on the minimum sentence and six states have other requirements.

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT. If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: I Want to know does it go for the new law, for inmates serving 85% right now, does it change for them too?
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 years ago.
Does what go?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My husband was telling me that that was the old law for people that was convicted during that time of the information that you gave me, so the law right now for virginia is 80% and there was law that suppose to be passed to change it to 65% has it been passed yet for new inmates?
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 years ago.

Dear Ts

No. I don't think so. And I did not know there was a move to go backwards. Do you know who might be a sponsor on the legislation?

Michelle, Paralegal
Experience: 31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I HEARD THAT THE LAW SUPPOSE TO PASS IN JULY07 FOR INMATES TO DO 65% OF THEIR TIME, IS THAT TRUE?
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

I regret that I cannot find this information for you. I have searched pending legislation on the VA legislative website and cannot find it. I will opt out and allow another expert to help you - maybe they will have better results.