Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

What is Louisiana law on cohabitation

Customer Question

Trying to find out articles 111 and 112 La civil code. What are details of law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Here is what the code of Louisiana says on Civil Code section 111:

Art. 111. Spousal support; authority of court

In a proceeding for divorce or thereafter, the court may award interim periodic support to a party or may award final periodic support to a party who is in need of support and who is free from fault prior to the filing of a proceeding to terminate the marriage in accordance with the following Articles.

Amended by Acts 1928, No. 130; Acts 1979, No. 72, §1; Acts 1990, No. 361, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1991; Acts 1997, No. 1078, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1998; Acts 2006, No. 749, §1, eff. June 30, 2006.

Here is what the civil code section 112 says:

Art. 112. Determination of final periodic support

A. When a spouse has not been at fault and is in need of support, based on the needs of that party and the ability of the other party to pay, that spouse may be awarded final periodic support in accordance with Paragraph B of this Article.

B. The court shall consider all relevant factors in determining the amount and duration of final support. Those factors may include:

(1) The income and means of the parties, including the liquidity of such means.

(2) The financial obligations of the parties.

(3) The earning capacity of the parties.

(4) The effect of custody of children upon a party's earning capacity.

(5) The time necessary for the claimant to acquire appropriate education, training, or employment.

(6) The health and age of the parties.

(7) The duration of the marriage.

(8) The tax consequences to either or both parties.

C. The sum awarded under this Article shall not exceed one-third of the obligor's net income.

Amended by Acts 1916, No. 247; Acts 1928, No. 21; Acts 1934, 2nd Ex.Sess., No. 27; Acts 1964, No. 48; Acts 1979, No. 72, §1; Acts 1982, No. 293, §1; Acts 1986, No. 229, §1; Acts 1997, No. 1078, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1998; Acts 2006, No. 749, §1, eff. June 30, 2006.

You can read all the laws regarding family law here.

If you wish to know whether commonlaw marriage is legal in Louisiana. The answer is NO.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.