LEV, Retired
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor law

How long do you have to probate a will in Mississippi

Customer Question

How long do you have to probate a will in Mississippi? Where can I get a small estate affidavit?
Expert:  LEV replied 9 years ago.

Probate is the process of validating a the will of a decedent and ensuring that the estate is distributed in accordance with the deceased's wishes or state law. Because of each case specifics - it can be difficult to put any sort of timeline on the whole process. In general, it may last around seven months.

There is no set time limit, and there are many factors that affect the timescale of the probate process, such as creditors are given a set timescale to file claims against the estate, someone contests the will, etc.

please see here reference to the Mississippi law -

You may also request a free consultation from Mississippi lawyer - - scroll down for a brief description of the Mississippi Probate Law.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well, I don't choose to accept this, because basically you haven't told me anything that I didn't already know.

I understand that contesting a will can tie it up, I expect my mother's will to be contested, and I am not ready to fight that battle with my brother, yet. So I was looking for when I have to probate.
Expert:  LEV replied 9 years ago.

If there is a disagreement between heirs - there is no other way but to probate. The will may be contested by any interested person at any time within two years, by petition or bill, contest the validity of the will probated -

According to - All estate, real and personal, not devised or bequeathed in the last will and testament of any person shall descend and be distributed in the same manner as the estate of an intestate; and the executor or administrator shall administer the same accordingly.