P. Hupka
P. Hupka, Paralegal & Court Stenographer
Experience:  7+ yrs paralegal experience in real estate, criminal, family, personal injury & wrongful death cases

What are the Indiana State laws on owning a wolf hybrid

Customer Question

I thought that as long as you live on a 'farm' then a hybrid is legal, however it is not legal in the city of suburbs.
Expert:  P. Hupka replied 8 years ago.
Good afternoon Jck, and thank you for your question.

As of 1991, they were illegal in ten states, and an additional nine required Fish & Game permits, especially if the hybrid was at least 75% wolf. A lot of states don't quite know what to do with hybrids and have thus included such terminology in defining hybrids as "wolf-like characteristics."

In Indiana, a Class III wild animal permit is required for each individual wolf. Additionally, a USDA permit must be possessed by the owner for each wolf. Wolf Hybrids are not regulated by the state and no longer require a permit.

310 IAC 3.1-11-2 First permit to possess a wild animal

Sec. 2.

(a) This section governs the first permit under this rule to possess a particular wild animal.

(b) A person who possesses a wild animal, described as Class I or Class II under section 5 of this rule, must apply to the department for a permit under this rule within five (5) days after acquiring the animal.

(c) A person who wishes to possess a wild animal, described as Class III, must satisfy IC 14-3-18 and 310 IAC 0.6-3 and receive a permit issued under this rule before the person takes possession of the animal. In addition to the requirements of 310 IAC 0.6-3-2(e), a notice under this subsection must also describe the following:

(1) The species of the wild animal.

(2) Where the animal will be possessed.

(3) The type of enclosure which would be used.

(d) A permit application must include a written verification from a licensed veterinarian that the animal appears to be free of disease, appropriately immunized, and in good health.

(e) An application must present a plan for the quick and safe recapture of the wild animal if the animal escapes or, if recapture is impracticable, for the destruction of the animal. After notification by the department of an intention to issue a permit, but before the permit is issued, the applicant must obtain the equipment needed to carry out the recapture and destruction plan. The nature and extent of the recapture plan and the equipment needed are dependent on the danger the escaped animal poses to persons, domestic animals, livestock, and other wildlife in the vicinity of the escape.

(f) A permit to possess a Class III wild animal shall require the permit holder to notify the department immediately after the discovery of any escape of the animal.

(g) A permit application must be completed on a department form and accompanied by a fee in the amount of ten dollars ($10).

(h) A conservation officer will inspect the cages or enclosures after the application is received.

(i) An application must show the wild animal was lawfully acquired. A receipted invoice, bill of lading, or other evidence approved by the director shall accompany the application to establish compliance with this subsection.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

310 IAC 3.1-11-5 Classifications of wild animals which require a permit under IC 14-2-7-21

Sec. 5.

The following classifications apply to a wild animal for which a permit for possession is required under IC 14-2-7-21 and this rule:

(1) Class I includes any wild animal which, because of its nature, habits, or status, is not a threat to personal or public safety.

(2) Class II includes any wild animal which, because of its nature, habits, or status, may pose a threat to human safety.

(3) Class III includes any wild animal which presents a real or potential threat to human safety.

The Indianapolis City Code states:

Sec. 531-501. Definitions.

For purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section.

Crime prevention dog means and includes a dog which is trained and used by its owner or keeper primarily for the protection of persons or property, or both.

Wild or dangerous animal means and includes:

(1) A Class III wild animal for which a state permit is required under 310 IAC 3.1-11-8; and

(2) A venomous snake, poisonous amphibian, or other large reptile.

Sec. 531-502. Wild and dangerous animal; registration required.

It shall be unlawful for a person to own a wild or dangerous animal in the city without first having registered the animal with the animal care and control division under this article; however, this section shall not apply to zoological parks, or bona fide circuses or carnivals.

According to the Animal Care and Control office in Indianapolis, Marion County is within the city limits of Indianapolis, so even though you might live on a farm, you still need to register your wolf-hybrid

In addition, you must have a sign posted:

Sec. 531-506. Warning signs required.

(a) The owner or occupant of premises where a wild or dangerous animal is kept shall
post, at each entrance to such premises, conspicuous signs which state, "WARNING: WILD OR DANGEROUS ANIMAL. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CALL (the telephone number of the owner or occupant of the premises)."

If you have additional questions, you can contact:

Animal Care & Control
2600 South Harding St.
Indianapolis, IN 46221XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
I hope this answered your question. Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.