Ryan, Professional Researcher
Experience:  I can find answers to even the most obscure legal question! Satisfaction guaranteed!

What exactly is the hepa law

I think my company may be in violation but, I'm not completly sure.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Are you referring to the HIPAA Law involving patient privacy?

Please let me know if this is the case.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ryan's Post: yeah probably. my union rep at work told me to look it up.

Am I to assume you are in the HealthCare field in some way? Or the incident involved some private information involving you or a coworker?

HIPAA is short for the "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act" of 1996. Essentially this was a broad act that was passed to ensure and enforce that health carriers and providers protected their patient's privacy.

Here is the official Act, in all of it's boring detail!

In it, the Act laid out approved ways of transmitting electronic data (must be encrypted), it specified that hospitals may not release any patient information without specific consent of the patient, and they must act in a way to protect the information they do hold (properly secure PCs, etc.). Many hospitals stopped asking for social security numbers on form, and so on.

It has a very broad application. It means that people can't call your Dr. and find out why you missed work. Employees of healthcare companies cannot take laptops home that have sensitive information. It is very broad and inclusive!

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions please let me know. Otherwise, please don't forget to "Accept!"

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ryan's Post: Basically, my employer wanted to know why it took my so long to get to the doc. while I was off sick. When I explained to her that I had an appt. on a monday but they called and canceled due to overbooking and rescheduled me to wed., she said she wanted a copy of their schedule book for mon. with my name in it. Of course I couldn't get it! But, is she in the wrong for even requesting the information?

Ah, I see.

Well, she isn't breaking any HIPAA laws by asking for it because she isn't asking for the reason you were gone or getting any other personal information. I think she is in the wrong, and rude, but not breaking any laws.

The Dr's office will not be willing to provide a copy of any schedule book however, they would be in violation of HIPAA. You can tell your employer that and she should back down. I think that a good compromise would be a note from your Dr. or office staff that you did have an appointment.

Remember, if you are out for an extended time you can be protected by the Family Medical Leave Act as well.

I hope this helps! If so, please don't forget to "Accept!"