4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Experience:  Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.

how do I file a claim against an estate in virginia

Customer Question

I gave about $35K to a contractor and he died before starting any work. How do I file and what forms to file against the estate for possible recovery?
Coul I place a lien against his house also?
Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.
Are you wanting to place a claim against the deceased persons estate. Have you contacted the office of the contractor.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: yes I do want to file a cliam against his estate. He was a sole proprieter
Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.

Is the business completely out of business at this time and have you contacted anyone for reimbursement. Or are you set on the estate issue.

How long after payment was made did the person die.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: He was a one-man show. He died within the past week. No business exists as it died with him.
The payments to him were made as late aas 10 months ago.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.

Here are the Va. laws and instructions to what your needing to do. Look for a notice as well in the paper to find the executor or the Representative.

Virginia law provides that any person desiring to prove any debt or demand against the estate shall file his claim or a written statement thereof with the Commissioner of Accounts. There is filing fee under the uniform Commissioners of Accounts fee schedule of $25 for each claim filed.

Let me know if you need further assistance on this.