How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson , International HR Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR cer BS, U.S.C. Pueblo; Immigration Law by Am. Mngmnt Association & USCIS Bus. Liaison ofc 1999
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Termination because of disability...

This answer was rated:

I think I was fired from my last job because of a medical disability. How do I prove that?

I told my immediate supervisor that I had been diagnosed as having Attention Deficit Disorder and that I was taking Adderall. The reason I did this is to protect myself so that they didn't think I was doing drugs. Adderall contains amphetamine salts and I was told that it can make you appear as if you are in a haze. In the employee handbook I received, it said that if you are taking any medication that may impair your ability to work, you are required to tell your supervisor or manager.

On 8/28, I was fired for "disregarding store policy." Since my supervisor knew I had this disorder and knew the symptoms (her roomates's daughter had it), I don't understand the reason of being fired. One of the symptoms is being impulsive (not on purpose).   I didn't realize it at the time, but I think I was fired for my disability. I don't have documentation of the termination, but I do have medical documentation, and I am going through my college's student disability services for my learning disability. What do I need to do to prove this to the disability protection act of the USA? Please help. Any council that you can give me that helps would be greatly appreciated.


The proximity of the discharge to your revealing the condition is sufficient in most cases to proving you were discharged for the disability.

You are not tellilng me the date you told the information, or the date of your hire.

You are also not telling me the reason you were fired. It is not enough to state that you did not follow the brosure. It had to be a specific item in the broshure.

So lets say for example: You were not given the handbook until after you were hired. Within two weeks time you read the handbook and realized you needed to tell your supervisor of the medication. Then within another two weeks you were fired.

This is too coincidental.

My advice is to seek an attorney to discuss your grounds for wrongful discharge and protections under the ADA. Not only can you bring a punitive charge, but you may also be able to file civil suit.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: I was told when I was hired that I would not be able to answer specific questions relative to products we carried in the Nutrition department. This was the department I worked in. I was fired because someone I worked with told them that I was answering specific questions, when I wasn't. I believe that they were looking for an excuse to fire me since I had the disability.

I was hired on 7/24. I told them I had the disorder around 8/20. I was fired on 8/28.

I was given the Employee Handbook before I started working. I had to sign the handbook saying that I received a copy and understood the guidelines before I could even work.

My question was, what paperwork do I need to prove that I was terminated unlawfully? If I have no documentation of the termination, just what I know, am I allowed to get a copy of my personnel file from the store?

You are allowed to have a copy of the documents on file.

You can also request a termination letter.

If they do not want to cooperate, you can obtain an attorney to write them a third party letter asking that they provide the information.

You can also file a complaint with the state Department of Labor for wrongful discharge.

A lot of paperwork proving things is not required. The fact that you were fired in close proximity to the discloser and in response to hearsay, is sufficient grounds.

The records will be considered property of the business, however you are entitled to a free copy because of the freedom of information act and privacy laws.

The attorney can take actions that will compel them to give you copies of your records.


Ed Johnson, International HR Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR cer BS, U.S.C. Pueblo; Immigration Law by Am. Mngmnt Association & USCIS Bus. Liaison ofc 1999
Ed Johnson and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions