Ryan
Ryan, Professional Researcher
Experience:  I can find answers to even the most obscure legal question! Satisfaction guaranteed!
795193

Regarding interlock devices. What is the rate of false ...

Regarding interlock devices. What is the rate of false positives? What causes false positives? The gentleman I am seeing has had to small readings on his interlock. There is zero chance there was any alcohol consumption. Both were late morning readings.

The Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) for an Interlock Device is very low, around .025 (less than 1/3 of legal limit). It is recommended that a person does not eat or drink right before trying to start their vehicle as this may prevent them from starting their car.

Here's a great site that lists many of the faults with taking a BAC that your gentleman friend can use as a guide:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrivingIssues/1055505643.html

As for a % of false positives, it depends on the specific device. Some states won't use them, other states have devices that is even alcohol specific.

I hope this information was of some help to you. If so, please don't forget to "Accept" my answer.

Regards,

Ryan