The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

car theft and insurance

Customer Question

my car was stolen twice in 10 days. the first time from my job, the second time from the collision center where it was towed to be repaired from first theft. It has not been recovered. Insurance company wants to settle the claim for value of the car and I owe the bank more. Any way to get them to pay the full amount?
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry. My thoughts are with you.

In order to provide you with a proper legal response, I need to know the following, if you would be so kind to answer:

Have you asked them if they will pay the full amount? How much of a loss will you take if you settle?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: I didn't realize until today that they were not going to pay the car loan off, and they want to settle by Friday. They are offering to pay approximately $3500.00 less than what I owe. I've never dealt with anything like this before and don't know if it's an option to refuse their offer and try for more money. I'm just very frustrated with this whole process. I'm a responsible person with insurance to protect myself and I feel like there has to be something else I can do.

Greetings:

Thank you for responding and sharing more information. I am sorry about your situation and my thoughts are with you.

Please know that Insurance companies normally pay what the car was worth before it was stolen. The insurance company is paying you the actual cash value of your car. If you are not sure of the actual value - to confirm that the insurance company is on the up and up - you should consult with a local car dealership.

As you state you don't know if it's an option to refuse their offer and try for more money, you can at least call and tell them that you need some days to think about it - and ask if you can get back to the adjuster - make certain that the settlement offer will still be open.

If you do not agree with the claims settlement, you will need to seek the advice and counsel of an attorney to protect your rights - Also, it would help to review your insurance policy to get a better idea as to where you stand in this matter.

I wish I could tell you something more positive as I'm sure this must be very stressful for you - however, I hope this helped.

If you wish for further information, please let me know.

I do wish you the best.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Information provided herein is based on my 30 years experience as a legal secretary/paralegal in the State of California, with experience and knowledge in the State of Nevada. This information is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal advice from a practicing, licensed attorney.