The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

money for injuries

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I were involved in a case where we were owed $1500 for injuries. We've been getting checks for $14 every 1-2 months.Someone told me that i can get a full lump sum payment for the money owed to me in from case now that the defendent is incarcerated for another crime.They did mention i would need a lawyer, but i don't want to pay out too much for the money owed, because we need it to pay our hospital bills and we don't have any extra money to spend on anything right now
thanks for your help--it would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

How long ago was the accident?

What are your ages?

Was a release of all claims signed?

Are you and/or your boyfriend still being treated for your injuries?

How long have you been receiving the monies?

Are the monies being sent by the insurance company for the other party?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  Jack Schroder replied 11 years ago.
Let mw make a few guesses from what you have asked. First, you are getting payment directly from the party who injured you. Second, he was at that time uninsured. Third, you made some kind of agreement with him directly and he promised (did he sign a note?) to pay you so much a month. Fourth, if you and your boy friend were owed 1500 dollars, your injuries were not very serious and at most you had some emergency room bills to pay, and maybe a little for your car.
You are going to have to see a lawyer. You are going to have to shop for one because your case is worth very little to a lawyer. He is going to have to sue for whatever this guy in jail owns, and that is probably just his car. Do not be discouraged. Somewhere out there in your county is a lawyer who needs some money and he will take your case. But don't hope for too much unless that guy's car is worth some money.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: The incidident happened 3-4 yrs ago. We are both 25 now. The monies owed to us were from dental bills. The nature of the injury required immediate attention to prevent further damage so it was fixed immediately and besides needing to be careful with the those teeth that were replaced there is no long term damage. we were to receive retribution money in return to pay it off. The checks came from the courts--not from the other party or from his insurance company, because i doubt he even has one. And he actually only made a few payments in over the past few years. The first two were sent within in one or two months of each other and the rest, which have only been another two or three have been spread over the course of the last few years. My boyfriend said he would need to look around for the exact # XXXXX payments, but we know it was few. The other party didn't even have a "real" job at the time. He is known in Gettysburg, PA for selling drugs. The wasn't a drug related incident, but because his income wasn't ligit the courts said at the time the retribution process would go on for years so we didn't think anything of it until we heard he was in prison. As for the release of claims, we're not sure what that is.
I am sorry to learn of your troubles. I guess you have asked the court for help.
Life is often unfair. I can think of nothing more to say that might help you. Hang in there.
Release of claims is probably something you would sign that ends the matter. You ought to ask a lawyer for help on that. If you can't afford a lawyer, or if the cost of a lawyer is more than it is worth, you might ask your local Bar Association if they can help you. They might have a program for helping people who can not afford a lawyer.

Greetings:

Thank you very much for getting back to me and providing this information. I'm sorry that you and your boyfriend sustained such injuries.

I want to help you and your boyfriend and feel that you both might have gotten a raw deal.

It will help me greatly, in order to help you and your boyfriend, if you can please provide me with a brief description as to how this original incident occurred, as I am getting a picture by what you have now provided that this stemmed from a criminal matter. For the court to have been involved so early into the case (ordering restitution)....It's understandable that you would not be familiar with Release of All Claims - I'm also concerned about the time line (3-4 years ago, as you state) as to when this happened - There are statutes of limitations.

I'm sorry that it's taking so long to provide you with an answer to your question, but I want to make sure I have all the details. Please let me hear from you.

Thank you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i appreciate the kindness, but it's difficult giving all the
details via e-mail. i haven't gotten any advice to help
me. I'm just going to have to talk to a lawyer like I
originally was going to, but didn't want to do.
Thank you though.

Greetings:

I do wish to help you and your boyfriend.

Please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave