The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

RENT

IF I THOUGHT I OWNED A HOUSE OUTRIGHT, AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE OWNS HALF, HOW FAR CAN THEY GO BACK TO GET HALF OF THE RENT I COLLECTED SINCE 1994

Greetings:

I see that your question reads as follows:

"IF I THOUGHT I OWNED A HOUSE OUTRIGHT, AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE OWNS HALF, HOW FAR CAN THEY GO BACK TO GET HALF OF THE RENT I COLLECTED SINCE 1994"

Please know that they can legally go back to 1994 and collect half of the rent, providing that they can substantiate that they are entitled to same.They would do so by filing a complaint for money, if you are unwilling to come forward in order to settle out of court.

I do suggest that you consult with an attorney in order to protect your rights.

I trust this answered your question.

If you wish for further information, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Information provided herein is based on my 30 years experience as a legal secretary/paralegal in the State of California, with experience and knowledge in the State of Nevada. This information is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal advice from a practicing, licensed attorney.

Greetings:

Please know that I am revising my initial response above as certain information was just presented to me.

I failed to ask/notice in which state you reside- thus, please know that I'm not familiar with the laws in the State of Virginia - therefore, you can contact a paralegal's office to obtain such information (regarding Statute of Limitations). I have only found the following - regarding debt collection:

Oral Agreements: 3 years
Written contracts: 5 years

Promissory Notes: 6 years

Open Accounts: 3 years.

Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection

Also, see:

Debt collection statute of limitations listed by state

However, the co-owner may be able to collect on a certain portion of the rent, providing that he/she can substantiate that he/she is entitled to same. He/She would do so by filing a complaint for money, if you are unwilling to come forward in order to settle out of court.

Note also, which was brought to my attention: the co-owner may be liable for expenses which would offset the rent due.

If you have expended certain monies for maintenance of the property/tax, etc., you can also seek reimbursement.

I do suggest that you consult with a paralegal's office or an attorney in order to protect your rights.

I trust this answered your question.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: i am sorry, i dont believe this answers my question
thanks anyway
dan hooper

Greetings:

I'm sorry I couldn't answer your question.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: THERE WAS A SECOND PARAGRAPH ADDED BUT I COULDNT PRINT IT OR FIND IT AGAIN. SOMETHING ABOUT VIRGINIA LAW
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I FOUND YOUR SECOND GREETING, BUT IT DOES NOT HELP EITHER. THANKS FOR TRYING TO HELP

Greetings:

You're very welcome.

Note: The way that I read your question is that your situation pertains to collecting on monies that are owed - and in this respect, I did provide you with information as to the Statute of Limitations, for the State of Virginia, in which the law permits a certain period of time in order to sue for same.

Since you state this doesn't answer your question --obviously then, I am missing something for which I offer my apologies, however, if you wouldn't mind, could you please provide me with more information so that I can assist you?

Thank you kindly.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
MY MOTHER LEFT ME THIS HOUSE. I SAW AN ATTORNEY AND HE PREPARED A DEED, AND POWER OF ATTORNEY IN1992. MY MOTHER SIGNED THE POWER OF ATTORNEY, BUT GOT TIRED AND SAID SHE WOULD HAVE TO COME BACK ANOTHER TIME.. WE WENT BACK UN A COUPLE OF DAYS AND SHE WAS TOO WEAK TO SIGN THE DEED SO THE ATTORNEY TOLD ME TO SIGN THE DEED WITH HER NAME AND MY NAME AS POWER OF ATTORNEY. WE HAD THE HOUSE FOR SALE AND NOW MY NIECES WANT HALF OF THE HOUSE PROCEEDS AND HALF OF THE RENT COLLECTED. THATS ALL I CAN TELL YOU. THEIR LAWYER IS SAYING I DEEDED THE HOUSE TO MYSELF AS A GIFT. I HAVE A COPY OF HER WILL BUT IT WAS NEVER SIGNED.

THANKS
DAN HOOPER

Greetings:

Thank you so much for responding. I'm sorry you are having difficulties regarding the house. It seems that there is more of a problem than originally stated.

At this point, being that there is a problem with proper documentation, and your mother never signed her Will - it is strongly suggested that you contact a real estate attorney to assist you and protect your rights. It appears that this matter may very well need to be settled through probate court.

If your mother passed, without signing her Will, it means dying Intestate - see link below:

Intestate

Unless there is absolute proof to indicate that your nieces have legal rights to a portion of the property, to my knowledge and belief, they cannot claim any monies.

I hope this has helped more.

Thank you again for sharing this information - allowing me to further assist you.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience: 30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.