The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

car accident on private property in California

Customer Question

Does the driver of a vechicle involved in an automobile accident (hit a parked car) in California on PRIVATE PROPERTY have to provide proof of libablity insurance?

NOTE1: I know that if the accident caused more then $750 dollars or if someone was injured that I have to file the SR1 with DMV, and I know that this applies to private property as well.

NOTE2: My question is based on my thoughts that since this accident happened on private property, and since the damage was UNDER $750 dollars .... that the providing proof of liabality insurance does NOT apply.

NOTE3: When this accident happend (when I accidently hit the parked car), there just happened to be a rather LARGE group of police officers getting back on their motorcycles (also located on the private property). One of the police officers 'said' he SAW the whole thing.

NOTE4: I went into the 'store' to see if I could find the owner of the parked car, but I was not able to. I then went back outside and placed a piece of paper on the car's windshield that I hit. I put my name and phone number.

NOTE5: The driver of the car returned after I had left. He got my note, and he got 'advice' from the police. The police gave him my license plate number.

So, knowing what I just added, can you tell me for certain 100% (
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

According to the laws in the State of California, one must report all traffic related incidents to the DMV within 10 days from the date of the incident, should it be more than $750.00 in damage to the property; also if any injuries involved.

With a parked vehicle, a note is to be placed securely on the damaged vehicle, setting forth the appropriate contact information - and the party responsible should report same to the police - and always, one must show proof of liability insurance.

California Driver Handbook- Actions That Result in Loss of License - Financial Responsibility and Insurance

I hope this has helped.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Information provided herein is based on my 30 years experience as a legal secretary/paralegal in the State of California, with experience and knowledge in the State of Nevada. This information is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal advice from a practicing, licensed attorney.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: You said in your reply to me:

I cannot accept this answer as you put it for the following reasons:

#1: The URL link that you provided did NOT state this information ... In fact, I couldn't even find a single incident that would even come close to what you told me (did you copy/paste that, or were you just para-phasing?).

#2: Even if what you said is 'true', then it still only states that if you hit a parked car (and it doesn't make mention at all if that parked car was on private property) because one MUST 'assume' that any 'law' from DMV is 'assuming' in itself that the action described is on a public road.

#3: To back #2 up even more, if you look at the URL you gave, it clearly states that an SR-1 must be filled to DMV (even if the accident occured on private property). See, in that reguard the DMV rules clearly mention the fact of it being on private property.

I am not questioning the SR1 filing rules because I know that one must file for an accident on private property if the damage is more then $750 or if someone is injured.

My whole quesiton is asking about providing proof of liablity insurance for accidents on private property.

Sorry, but I don't think you answered it yet.

Greetings:

Thank you for responding.

I see that you revised your question than what I initially responded to. Also, please note that I did not have to copy and paste my information - as I am experienced with automobile accidents - personal injury - I simply set forth the website link to the Department of Motor Vehicles so you could see first hand what the laws state concerning reporting accidents.

With regard to my statement:

"With a parked vehicle, a note is to be placed securely on the damaged vehicle, setting forth the appropriate contact information - and the party responsible should report same to the police - and always, one must show proof of liability insurance." I did answer your question about the insurance.

With respect to being involved in an accident/hitting a vehicle on "private property"- (forgive me for not addressing this particularly) the laws still apply - one isn't simply dismissed for that reason - the party is responsible for any damage and must report it accordingly. They are still governed under the laws of the State of California.

Clearly the law states that when operating a motor vehicle, one must have liability insurance - therefore, once again, this would hold when one is involved in an accident - and showing proof of same.

I would advise that you contact the DMV to confirm - and you may wish to contact the police as well to confirm.

Proof of insurance presented to the other party is mandatory when one is involved in an incident - but you don't have to place that on a piece of paper attached securely to the vehicle - you provide the information face to face or by telephone. They are entitled to the information.

I indicated that if the damage is more than $750, one would need to report it to the DMV - which would also entail filing an SR-1....you did not initially state what the damage amount was - thus, I provided you with additional information -

But, once again, always show proof of insurance.

Whether you accept my response is entirely your prerogative - I understand and appreciate your concern quite well - yet I have been in the legal profession long enough and know what I have addressed herein is standard in such cases - thus, I will certainly not take any offense.

Should you wish for further information, please let me know, I will be happy to assist you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: Thanks for the writing ...

I do personally have experience in this EXACT area of work (just not within the State of California as much as other States).

The question was answered by you 'stating' that this was the way things are to be done ... as if it was more of an un-writen law or a sort of 'code of ethics'.

No where in your inital reply or this follow up reply did you 100% answer my question. I asked to give me a for sure 100% answer with .... but with a reference to EXACTLY where in the 'law books' I can go to confirm the answer.

So, basically, lets start 'over' if you don't mind. Let's sort of forget what was already done, and look at the question again from a 'fresh' approach.

Here goes ... my question is this:

Where EXACTLY in the State of California law books (if it does exist probably in the motor vehicle code) does it STATE without a shred of doubt that:

That anyone involved in an automobile accident must provide proof of liablity insurance IF that automobile accident happened on private property.

NOTE: I know this is CLEARLY the law if the accident happens on the public road, but the laws I've seen and read ONLY mention this requirement if the accident happens on the public right of way.

NOTE: Since you have much experience in this area, you for SURE know that things on 'private land' can and ARE somewhat different then on the public right of way ... or open public roads.

An example, for the most part, a police officer could NOT 'write' a traffic citation on private property for example "running a stop sign" Now, I know that there are MANY exceptions to this 'rule' ... which is my EXACT reasoning for my question ....

In a nutshell, if the law applies to private property, then it is generally CLEARLY labelled as being such unless it is obvious that the law is enforcable (for example rape, murder, robbery, etc.).

So?

Greetings:

Thank you for responding.

Please know that I greatly appreciate your concern and I truly welcome your input, without a doubt - I am here to assist you.

I must be forthright, however, and tell you that I did in fact answer your question as you initially posted, 100% - yet, the way you have come across is telling me that I have not responded accordingly. Certainly, this is not so. I wonder how you can profess to this when it's clearly in black and white?...as now you ask me about coming up with "Where EXACTLY in the State of California law books (if it does exist probably in the motor vehicle code) does it STATE without a shred of doubt that"........you see, I read your question properly - this was not part of your initial question or follow up question.

Please know that I am more than happy to respond to any further questions that you may have, however, I must do legal research now. Before I begin to do so, please confirm once again what you want me to answer for you - so there will not be any further misunderstandings - especially being that I will be spending my time to do legal research for you - and I would like to provide you with the appropriate information. I do feel though that at this late hour, I will not be able to get back to you until tomorrow.

It would help if you could be more specific about the liability insurance - what was the real problem? Do you not have insurance? Just please let me know so that I can assist you.

Thank you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: I have no car insurance.

Here again is my question:

When a driver of a car is involved in a car accident on private property, is the driver obligated under California law to provide proof of liability insurance?

Seems very simple of a question, but again, I have called no less then 3 police department, the CHP, and an old insurance carrier I had in the past. I've gotten a YES reply from them all, but again they cannot tell me where in the law this is 'writen'.

Basically, I 'feel' as if each and everyone of them is sort of 'guessing' at their answered. It becomes more clear, when AFTER they have comitted to the YES answer that they cannot follow that up with 'where exactly is that YES confirmed from'. They all tell me that I should call DMV ... DMV says that they do not determine if/when an accident happens ... they only work with what ever paperwork has been submitted to them (basically a loop back to the SR1 information).

I understand COMPLETELY the following:
1. The requirements to file an SR1 to DMV.
2. The requirement to provide proof of liablity insurance if the accident happens on a public roadway.

My 'concern' (which not just a thought of trying to find a loophole out of this), but more of a feeling that private property overrides this law.

For example, what if you were driving a tractor on a farm (or a truck for example) .... and say that the tractor hit another farm vehicle and/or a fence post ... would that 'farmer' have to provide liability insurance ... This might be an extreme example, but the LAW is the LAW right?

I just don't think that the proof of liability insurance applies to private property, but clearly it should and does on a public roadway.

Another example, say you have a bunch of friends over you house ... one of them leaves, but hits another's park car causing minor damage (or under the 750 rule with no injuries) ... should that driver have to provide liablity insurance to the parked car's owner ....

I say NO .. but if the two cars were on the road stopped in traffic at a red light ... one car rolls into the other car ... causing under 750 damage and no injury .... BOTH parties are liable to show proof of liablity insurance.

My thoughts ...

I would like to know EXACTLY where in the lawbooks this proof of liablity insurance is 'writen' down at.

Good luck

Greetings:

Thank you so much for responding. Okay, please allow me some time to do research for you - and I will get back to you by tomorrow - due to the late hour.

I have all the information now - so I trust that there will not be a problem.

Enjoy the evening.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Greetings:

I have taken time to read over your initial question (with subsequent additions) as well as all of your responses.

You give an example of the following:

.......... "say you have a bunch of friends over you house ... one of them leaves, but hits another's park car causing minor damage (or under the 750 rule with no injuries) ... should that driver have to provide liablity insurance to the parked car's owner ...."

Answer to this is, you bet! ABSOLUTELY - just because this vehicle is parked on public or private property and damage is under the sum of $750 - that doesn't mean that the person who caused the damage (PARTY 1) is FREE AND CLEAR of having to show proof of insurance or pay - do you honestly believe that the owner of the damaged vehicle (PARTY 2) should be the one to pay? I think not! Party 2 has every right to seek out Party 1's insurance company to file a claim and to have Party 1 pay for damage. Should the damage of property be more than $750, then it is also reported to the DMV (SR-1 form).

You also state:

"For example, what if you were driving a tractor on a farm (or a truck for example) .... and say that the tractor hit another farm vehicle and/or a fence post ... would that 'farmer' have to provide liability insurance ... This might be an extreme example, but the LAW is the LAW right?'

Hitting a farm vehicle and/or a fence post - and possibly causing damage - my response is the same as above -

Here's an example for you:

Say that I personally smash into your vehicle while on private property and cause major damage to your vehicle - I drive away without showing you proof of my insurance....what are you going to do? Or, what if you asked me to show you proof of my insurance and I do not wish to show it to you and I just drive away??? Or what if the damage was under $750, but still your car is damaged and I drive away or I refuse to show you my proof of insurance.

What this basically states (should your theory be correct that it's not necessary to provide proof of insurance) - is that it's too bad for you and your vehicle - get your own vehicle repaired, pay for it yourself. In that case, I could be as reckless as I wish to on private property and smash up a whole bunch of vehicles and not show proof of my insurance. I can even knock down fences and anything else that crosses my path...!

The laws in the State of California apply regardless regarding liability insurance (showing proof upon request) whether it's on public or private property - it's considered a "road". Please refer to Vehicle Code Section 527 (a-e). DMV - V.C. SectionXXXXX/FONT>

If this information is not sufficient for you, then you may wish to do research at the law library.

I also provide you with the following links:

V.C. Section 17150 - Liability of Private Owners (responsibility to property)

I will state once again that, particularly in your case, when one is involved in an accident in the State of California - even if damage is less than $750, when asked, one must show proof of liability insurance - even if it is on private property.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: I'm not going to accept your reply to my question.

First off, you seem to me to be on a HIGH horse about making sure the person who 'hits the other car' PAYS for the damage. In almost every one of your replies ... you seem to make reference to that point.

My whole question has NOTHING to do with paying or not paying. I only wanted to know if you had to show proof (which again you dodge the question by either not answering it directly, or by getting on the high horse, or by para-phrasing the law ... and then 'adding' your own comment to that para-prase.

For example, you said:

I have seen time and time again basically what you have writen above, but NO WHERE in my research ... have I see the last sentence that you so seemingly 'just happen to add' "Even if it is on private property".

To me, if I had a fourtune cookie, I could add that statement to the end of each fortune ...

You will be well rewarded in the days ahead, "Even if its on private property".

You take the cake!

I won't be replying to you anymore ....
I am going to either close this question, or leave it open for someone who knows the law to answer.

Greetings:

Your not wishing to accept my response is certainly your prerogative - I do not take offense.

However, I have taken time to respond to your questions - and yet you have changed it every time I respond....so now, you are stating that I seem to be on a "high horse"..... I will state here that it's not necessary to take that tone with me - I haven't harmed you - I have taken time to assist you.

You state:

"First off, you seem to me to be on a HIGH horse about making sure the person who 'hits the other car' PAYS for the damage. In almost every one of your replies ... you seem to make reference to that point."

Well, Sir/Madam, I gave you my response based on your situation/question....Hitting a vehicle may or may not have caused damage - however, you specifically stated that the damage was under $750....so, there was damage.....why would you insinuate then that I am on a "high horse"?

You also state:

"My whole question has NOTHING to do with paying or not paying. I only wanted to know if you had to show proof (which again you dodge the question by either not answering it directly, or by getting on the high horse, or by para-phrasing the law ... and then 'adding' your own comment to that para-prase."

Well, Sir/Madam - you have now once again changed your question....for I did not dodge answering you - I specifically asked you yesterday to tell me what you want to know so there would be no further misunderstandings - and what do you mean by that I have added my own comments to respond to your questions? Paraphrase!.....That is the purpose of this forum - one asks a question(s) and a specialist responds....I provided you with information as a specialist based on my years of experience - and also of the laws of the State of California.

You commented about my statement:

"I will state once again that, particularly in your case, when one is involved in an accident in the State of California - even if damage is less than $750, when asked, one must show proof of liability insurance - even if it is on private property."

You state:

My response to you now is to discuss this matter with the Department of Motor Vehicles - as "roads" according to the DMV is considered public and private - and I provided you with the vehicle code section.

You claimed that there was damage to the other party's vehicle - therefore, I answered "Yes" - you have to show proof.

Quite honestly, I do not want your money - even though this is not a free question and answer site.

I happen to know the law quite well, but you are entitled to your opinion. It's apparent that I cannot assist you.

Please take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  Martye replied 11 years ago.

From the California Drivers Handbook:

"California’s Compulsory Financial
Responsibility Law
requires every driver and every owner
of a motor vehicle to maintain financial responsibility
(liability coverage) at all times."
"The law states you must be financially
responsible for your actions whenever you drive and
for all motor vehicles you own."

Regarding accidents:

"You must make this report:

• Whether or not you caused the accident and
  • Even if the accident occurred on private property.

Your driving privilege will be suspended:

• If you don’t make this report.
  • For four years, if you did not have proper insurance
    coverage. During the last three years of the suspension,
    your license can be returned if you provide a California
    Insurance Proof Certificate (SR 22) and maintain it
    during this period."

(End of quote)

Basically, If a registered motor vehicle (tractors do not fall under this classification) is being driven, regardless of whose property it is on, The owner of the vehicle must
carry liability insurance If you were not the owner, then
the owner of the vehicle is liable (as are you a party, as the driver,)

A tractor running into a parked car (on private property)would be
covered under a home owners general liability policy and / or a an
"umbrella policy"

If you are "chasing windmills" to try to beat this, I don't see how you
can.... insurance is required on all registered motor vehicles and if
they are not registered, they may not be driven.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction.... If you would care to pursue more "windmills", let me know

Sincerely, Martye

Greetings:

Regarding specialist Martye's response above,

Please know that this is the EXACT INFORMATION that I posted in one of my links that was provided.

As far as the tractor - homeowner's insurance is concerned.......that is irrelevant.

The fact remains that in the State of California, the laws dictate that if an automobile accident occurs, one must show proof of liability insurance when asked - and I do emphasize "even on private property" because this is the issue here.

I provided more than sufficient information.

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
To Marty (because I am not going to split hairs with this anymore):

Anyways, what about this statement:

"Unless the code specifically includes private property, then the CVC doesn't apply. Basic laws of negligence apply".

So, really in its 'essence', and 'accident' is not negliegence because it was not indended to happen.

The statement above is what I can consider as a 'base' for my original post.

Again, I 'think' strongly that you and 'him' are really basing your answers on who is actually responsable for 'paying' for the accident.

What if someone wants to pay CASH or credit card for the damage? You guys use the SR1 filing as your answer to me because that law clearly states that famous reply of yours, "Even if on Private Property".

So the SR1 filing is part of the CVC ... and that clearly states private property ...

So the requirement to show proof of liability, is also part of the CVC, but I can't find anywhere inside of it ... and so far you haven't either ... shown me where it is required on private property.

You 'think' that since you have to file and SR1 ... that it is just logical to you that you would have to show proof of liablity ...

What not require the person to have to register as a sex offender??? You two are confusing very seperate issues ....

What ever!

Greetings:

An SR-1 is for damages more than $750 - we have already established you did not cause $750 - so you claim....thus, this is out of the picture for now.

I am stating that the laws in the State of California dictate that one MUST SHOW PROOF OF LIABILITY INSURANCE when asked - and this includes being on private property.

I don't see any confusion with the above.

As far as one wishing to pay cash or credit for damage repair, that's fine - however, again, the laws in the State of California dictate that one must show proof of liability when asked......and what if the damage to repair the vehicle is more than the amount that was obtained by "cash" or "credit card"? The damaged party has the right to pursue the matter to properly repair vehicle, unless one has signed a Release of All Claims.

This was negligence, even though you did not intend to cause damage - the fact is you negligently operated your vehicle in which to collide with a parked vehicle thus, you are held liable, or anyone under the circumstances.

I set forth the Vehicle Code for "ROADS" in my earlier response for which it pertains to public and private.

If you operate a vehicle in the State of California, one must show proof of liability insurance when asked, if involved in an automobile accident.

I personally understand your concern - and I'm not looking for you to accept my response since you are not satisfied - however, I am doing everything in my power to assist you - I do suggest that you can contact the Automobile Club, or the Department of Motor Vehicles, or you can research for yourself concerning the laws, or you can consult with a personal injury attorney.

Just to let you know that I happen to be "her" not "him".....

My best to you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Ok, "her" answer me this then ...

You clearly have made the following statement over and over again ...

"I am stating that the laws in the State of California dictate that one MUST SHOW PROOF OF LIABILITY INSURANCE when asked I am stating that the laws in the State of California dictate that one MUST SHOW PROOF OF LIABILITY INSURANCE when asked - and this includes being on private property.

So, where did you get this information from? Finally, did the 'place' you get the information from ACTUALLY have the part of your statement that reads:

"- and this includes being on private property."

Or, as I have said TIME and TIME again ... you must BE own your OWN ADDING that to the end of statement.

You are probably adding that to the end of your statement BECAUSE you think that it is sort to 'stiuplated' there because YOU THINK the word ROAD always apply to 'private property'.

Finally, YES, tomorrow, I am going to talk to an "EXPERT" of auto accidents and the DMV investiagtors themselves.

Greetings:

Thank you for responding.

You stated "him" in your previous response, I wanted to let you know correctly - as well, my name is "The Mystic Wave".

I have lived in the State of California for 45 years - I also drive in the State of California, with a valid driver's license for well over 30 years and I have been a legal secretary/paralegal in the State of California for 30 years, with experience in personal injury/property damage.

You state:

"You are probably adding that to the end of your statement BECAUSE you think that it is sort to 'stiuplated' there because YOU THINK the word ROAD always apply to 'private property'."

I outlined the Vehicle Code regarding "Roads" because it states it pertains to public and private.

What are you truly seeking?

What do you want?

You emphasize that you are going to talk to an "EXPERT" of auto accidents tomorrow. I am glad.

Okay, I found through additional research the following under Vehicle Code Section 16000.1 (a) regarding reportable accidents - see below:

DuiNet.com/ DUI Attorneys San Jose / Vehicle Code

Also, "private property" is considered "off-highway" which is governed by the laws of the State of California.

Vehicle Code Section 16000.8 pertains to liability insurance - see below:

I hope this further assists you.

I will end posting now concerning your question, unless you believe I can be of further help to you.

I wish you the very best.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Ok Mystic Wave ...

I would like to say I am sorry for the 'him' comments because generally speaking most all documentations do that (so you should be used it by now because you are so keen to praraphrasing).

Anyhow,

Again, just like Bill Clinton supporter (you probably voted for him twice), you DODGE the specific question ...

I followed the two URLs that you supplied, and again ... I NEVER found ONCE single instatnce of the words, "private proptery". Do it yourself ... use your browser and do a CTRL F with the words private property ...

You don't get it.

When it says, 'roads' ... that in itself almost takes OUT private property. In my opinion, I would SAY that the term ROADS means the road itself, the areas near the road (like the shoulder or emergengy parking ... etc.). The term ROADS is WAY to 'big' to give to the state. Because, why not say ... "Well the 'road' lead off of the main highway, then turned into his private ROAD ... which led to some 'brick' roads ... which then let up some 'wooden' road steps to a 'concrete road' .. which YOUR HONOR then let to a carpeted road right to you what ... 'plain view site' of the defendent using illegal drugs ...

You just don't get it.

Later

Ms. ytec Road

Greetings:

I added that "off-highway" is also considered private property.

I do not profess to being perfect, as I don't believe any one human is - perhaps I did not provide you with the information you are seeking - perhaps I was wrong - and if so, I stand corrected. However, I have far better knowledge of the laws of the State of California and have provided you with a fair amount of pertinent information.

I get it! - You are asking about showing proof of liability on "private property".....

Thank you for the challenge - I'm sorry though that the information I provided you cannot assist you.

After all this, I would be very interested in knowing what the "EXPERT" that you are going to see tomorrow has to say -if you don't mind sharing - and, once again, if I'm wrong, I stand corrected. Life is such that we learn something new every day - that's the beauty of it ....and I'm not too proud to learn.

I thank you......and my best to you.

Please take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave