Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Counselor, Information Professional
Experience:  Master's in Counseling - 30 Yrs - Helping Prof - 160 IQ - 57 Yrs. Life Exp 1000 Site-wide Accepts.
14607

Illegal Tow

Customer Question

I was parked on private property as a guest in a parking spot that I come to find out was not a parking spot but access parking for the citys water work trucks. There was no sign stating "No Parking" the only sign is at the entrance of this townhome residence stated "Private Parking for Guests & Special Permits Only" "All Red Zones & Fire Lanes are No Parking. Violaters will be cited and/or Towed at Owners Expense" I was not parked in either type of area. What is your opinion I should do or can do? Thank you.
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
If I interpret your question correctly -- and you were not in a parking
area which was painted either red or yellow -- in my opinion, you do
have a legal cause of action against whatever entity and/or person
authorized your vehicle to be towed.

It may well be that the City Water Department or Police Department for
some other city government entity had your vehicle code. If this
is the case, I recommend that you go directly to that city Department
and formally ask for a reimbursement of your towing costs.

On the other hand, if a non-government type -- like a building manager
or landlord -- authorized the total, given the presumably small sum of
money involved, I recommend that you file a claim in Small Claims
Court. You represent yourself in small claims -- so the
proceedings are less formal than 'regular' court.

The lawyers are allowed that you can bring a friend. You can also present evidence and (if you have any) witnesses.

That said, unless you have witnesses (or their signed statements) or
photographs -- it would seem to come down to your word against the word
of the defendant(s).

The fees to file a claim in Small Claims Court are relatively small,
and if you prevail, you should be able to get a judgment from the court
which directs the defendant to pay both your towing and court fees.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer. Adding
a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- is always warmly welcomed.

Good Luck!

Steve

Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

You state:

"I was parked on private property as a guest in a parking spot"

and you state:

"the only sign is at the entrance of this townhome residence stated "Private Parking for Guests & Special Permits Only"

Please know that if you did not have a special parking permit for this private parking area as a "guest" or if you did not have a "Special Permit" - then, they had grounds to tow your vehicle.

So, you would not have a case. You may wish to speak to the host/hostess of the place you visited, as they should have directed you accordingly as to the proper parking space. They should offer to reimburse you. It wouldn't be, however, wherein they would be liable to pay you, but out of common courtesy. Naturally parking in an area reserved for the "city water works" would be grounds to tow your vehicle, as it happened.

Now, with the fact that you state there was no sign, this is what would make your case against the city, as there is negligence on behalf of the "city water works" for failure to post signs accordingly. However, you need solid proof that there was no sign posted at the time of this event.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

TheSSCrissy,

It appears we need a clarification -- Did the signage indicate
that permits were required for guests? or for everyone?

That is not how I understand your question -- and, if my understanding is correct, I stand by my original answer.

If permits were not required for guests, or if they were required, but
the signage failed to make that requirement clear, I believe you have a
case.

Good Luck!

Steve