How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask The Mystic Wave Your Own Question

The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 427
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
The Mystic Wave is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

personal property lien in Tennessee

Customer Question

How do I file a lien on personal property that I am storing for someone? I have been keeping 5 dogs for some (now ex )friends for some time now with the agreement that they would pay us for this. I recently took the dogs back to them as they would not pay nor come out to take care of them. They owe me alot of money for this. I have also been storing alot of personal property for the same people for a couple of years now. This was no problem at first as they needed us to help them out with this. They got mad at us for reasons NOT concerning the storage of their property and siad that they were picking up everything in 2 days. This was about 4-5 months ago. I now wish to place a lien an this property to get our money or to keep their property and sell it. What do I do?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 10 years ago.


You need to file a lawsuit - such as in small claims court - for monies owed. You need to serve a copy of the court papers on the other party. At the time of the court appearance the judge will render a decision. If it is in your favor, judgment will be entered against the other party. Once you have a judgment, you can file an Abstract of Judgment, have it recorded. It may not be necessary to place a lien on their belongings that you are storing - is it of value? It would be better to seek out real estate owned for lien purposes.

Another suggestion would be to seek a Writ of Possession - to gain ownership of the belongings when filing. But, that's up to you.

Further, concerning the belongings, as evidence for your case, gather up all receipts, paperwork to attach as exhibits when filing suit.

You should also send a letter to this person (certified mail, return receipt requested), advising them that you wish for them to claim their property within 15 days from the date of letter and to reimburse you for storage (be prepared to submit the total amount owed, including copies of any and all receipts), otherwise, you will be forced to take legal action against them by seeking a Writ of Possession and complaint for monies owed. Keep a copy for your files. Your return receipt and copy of letter will be part of the exhibits.

If you wish for further information, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions