The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.

personal property lien in Tennessee

Customer Question

How do I file a lien on personal property that I am storing for someone? I have been keeping 5 dogs for some (now ex )friends for some time now with the agreement that they would pay us for this. I recently took the dogs back to them as they would not pay nor come out to take care of them. They owe me alot of money for this. I have also been storing alot of personal property for the same people for a couple of years now. This was no problem at first as they needed us to help them out with this. They got mad at us for reasons NOT concerning the storage of their property and siad that they were picking up everything in 2 days. This was about 4-5 months ago. I now wish to place a lien an this property to get our money or to keep their property and sell it. What do I do?
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

You need to file a lawsuit - such as in small claims court - for monies owed. You need to serve a copy of the court papers on the other party. At the time of the court appearance the judge will render a decision. If it is in your favor, judgment will be entered against the other party. Once you have a judgment, you can file an Abstract of Judgment, have it recorded. It may not be necessary to place a lien on their belongings that you are storing - is it of value? It would be better to seek out real estate owned for lien purposes.

Another suggestion would be to seek a Writ of Possession - to gain ownership of the belongings when filing. But, that's up to you.

Further, concerning the belongings, as evidence for your case, gather up all receipts, paperwork to attach as exhibits when filing suit.

You should also send a letter to this person (certified mail, return receipt requested), advising them that you wish for them to claim their property within 15 days from the date of letter and to reimburse you for storage (be prepared to submit the total amount owed, including copies of any and all receipts), otherwise, you will be forced to take legal action against them by seeking a Writ of Possession and complaint for monies owed. Keep a copy for your files. Your return receipt and copy of letter will be part of the exhibits.

If you wish for further information, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave