The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

Delinquency on Credit Report

Customer Question

What do you do when your father with the same name uses your social security number to open credit and after disputing it, the credit bureaus and the creditor still claims that it is me and the debt is valid? They also claim that because they bought out the origianl creditor, they do not have a copy of the original application with signatures that opened the account. Several of his delinquent accounts have been cleared off of my credit report but there is one that they continue to say is mine.
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

This would be identity theft. Are you wishing to report your father to the district attorney (as it's a criminal matter)? - if so, with proper investigation, if it can be substantiated that your father was in fact responsible, the credit burea(s) will be properly notified of same and the matter can be cleared.

Or, if you do not wish to take such action against your father, it would help for your father to discuss this matter with the credit bureau(s) to see if he can resolve it for you.

Or you can write the credit bureau(s) a letter, if you haven't already done so, and insist that there was an error and ask them to correct same.

Or you can consult with a private attorney to advise you of your rights.

If you need further information, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience: 30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: I have filed a police report and rewritten to the credit bureaus. My father left when I was two days old, so getting him to call is out of the question. I just thought they had to provide visual proof of the application. Thanks

Greetings:

Thank you kindly for accepting my response. I'm sorry about your father leaving when you were young, and what he has done in this matter.

If they are claiming that you signed the application and one account has not been cleared, and it's going against your credit, then they must substantiate same...which would be to provide the application.

Should they not remedy the matter by removing this off of your credit (clearing same), that this matter is not your doing, you should seek the advice and counsel of an attorney for this incident has marred your credit. Protect your rights -- you are entitled!

My very best to you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave