Chris
Chris, Online Researcher
Experience:  Online Researcher
178821

Business Tranaction

Customer Question

A software company in Russia called venomsoft want me to accept checks (my name) from protential clients in USA - cashed the checks take a 10% commission and sent the rest to them Western Union (Is this legal?)
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This is a scam. It's all over the internet. The most likely scenario is that you will get the checks, put them in your account, they will post and then you will pay the party that requested that you cash the check, retaining your share.

After you make the payment to this party, your bank will probably notify you that the checks were counterfeit and that your account has been debited for that amount.

And think about it - why would any legitimate business need you to launder money for them?

Let me know if you still have questions.

Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

It may be that doing it this way, they can avoid paying taxes:

Russia Tax Laws Tax System Russia - WorldWide-Tax.com

I wish I could tell you more, but this is something that must be discussed in detail with an attorney in order to protect your rights. It may also be necessary to consult with your accountant.

I have never heard of the company, and you need to make certain that the company is legitimate....thus, please consult with an attorney.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: The checks are legal checks! I just cash them at the currency exchange I do not have to put them into my checking account.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you cash the checks at the currency exchange, you will then be responsible when the checks are found to be counterfeit.

At that point, you will still be responsible even if you did not put them in your bank account.

Keep in mind that, if things seem too good to be true, they normally are.

Greetings:

I found a company by the name of Vicomsoft, a Russian company with over 20 years experience of delivering software for managed communication and network.....Is this the company you refer to? In any case, as stated above, they may be wanting to avoid paying taxes, thus asking you to send them a money order.

Note: If you haven't actually been doing business with them in the past to know who they are, please investigate the company. You can also consult with the Russian Ministry - in fact, you need to contact the Russian Ministry to confirm that this company is in good standing - that's it's registered as a legitimate business......if you intend to do business with them, this is your best source.

Otherwise, you should seek the advice and counsel of an attorney to protect your rights, as well as consulting with your accountant.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  Chris replied 11 years ago.
Yeah, I've delt with this before. I think it is the same company but they go by several other names. This is a pretty common scam running around the internet like Tammy had said. What they do is the set up a bunch of fake websites and have people sign up for whatever (I've seen a daily recipe website that charged 10 bucks a month). They say you can cancel at anytime but when you do they still charge your account. So... If your accepting these payments and then someone fights their credit card charge it comes back to you. I'm not a lawyer but this is what I've heard so do it at your own risk.