Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Counselor, Information Professional
Experience:  Master's in Counseling - 30 Yrs - Helping Prof - 160 IQ - 57 Yrs. Life Exp 1000 Site-wide Accepts.
14607

Can I include these games on my website

Customer Question

I have a website and wanted to add free games for my visitors to play. I found a website that gives you free games that you can include on your website. The games that this website gives out for free are older well known games such as pacman, donkey kong, simon...etc. My question is, are these games legally useable on my website without getting in trouble for copyright laws. One of the websites that gives you free games to add to your website is: http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/games.shtml
I have found several websites that have these games available, I just don't know if it is legal to use these games on my website.
Expert:  Paul replied 11 years ago.
  To tell you the truth I don't know. If the games aren't
identical to the original it will be legal as a 'clone'. One safeguard
would just be to link to the games, instead of hosting them!

Regards,

Paul

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: The games look to me like the original games. I wanted to keep the games on my website so that my website visitors wouldn't be bombarded with advertisements from other websites.
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
ArcadeTown.com offers free games for websites.

Regarding free games games on other websites -- you will need to
determine whether the games are legally available to put on your
website.

A good place to start would be to email the Webmaster of the site you mention at:

[email protected]

If you cant find an email for a website try:

info[fill in website name here]

-- or --

webmaster@
[fill in website name here]

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I have emailed the webmaster at the website, but never received a reply back.

I'm not surprised you haven't heard back from the Webmaster -- they are
generally busy and there's not much incentive for them to answer your
question.

If I were you I would go with ArcadeTown.com
-- because since they provide free games -- that would be the easiest
way to get games on your website at no cost to you. 

With respect to other (especially popular or well-known) games -- it is
extremely unlikely that they would allow use of their games on other
people's web sites without charging a license fee.

That said, it never hurts to ask -- and all at cost you is the time to
research who owns the copyright to these games and contact them.

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!

Steve

Expert:  Dennis Mariano replied 11 years ago.
In my own experience in computer industry, letting someone use the software in your computer so domain, is not eligal. First the site is giving it away for free, as long as you don't sell any copy on the market you are not commiting any crime @ all, and don't allow anyone to download it from your site, just let them play it while you are hosting it, since the other site allow you to add it to your site as you mention. Besides that will gives you more trafic if browsers stay inside your site having a reason to stay in one site give more trafic. Now if in daubt, If the site offered some affiliation, then just sign up, it won't cost you any thing anyways you will only direct some of your trafic to their site....

hope this one helps you
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dennis Mariano's Post: I understand the site I mentioned in the original message is giving the games away for free....but do they own the rights to give it away and allow others to use the games on their own website? I know arcadetown.com offers free games for use on my website, but im looking for the more classic style games. There are a lot of dot coms that allow you to play their games on your website, but not really interested in their games.
The very reason that you only want certain games on your website --
because they are in some ways better and thus more popular than other
games -- is also the very reason that you stand almost no chance of
legally using them on your website for free.

People can, do, and will charge the highest amount that the market will
pay for quality/popularity.  That is how the 'free market' (which
is anything but free) operates.

You are wanting at least the very immprobable -- and much more likely -- the impossible.

Continuing to ask the question won't change the realities you're faced with.

By the way, it seems to me that,somewheree in this process, your question morphed from:

Is it legal to use older games on my website that I download for free
from other websites?' -- which has been answered -- to: XXXXX XXXXX I
don't want those uncool boring old free games on my werbsite -- even if
I can legally use them.  I want the most popular coolest games --
and I want the companies who developed them to let me use them on my
website -- but I don't want to pay them a cent -- and, for $5.00, I
want you to not only tell me how to find all these companies -- but
also to tell me how to get them to just give me their products?'

Have I missed anythingCustomer

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Question is still the same. Never said I didn't want the old "Boring Games". Those are the ones I want...not the new games.
I asked about the games the website, http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/games.shtml , has availabe for download. I know they provide the games for free, the site tells you that you can download and include in your website for free, I just wanted to know if they have the "right legally" to do that. I never mentioned other games that I wanted, just the ones on that site. I figured this was a legal question where someone would say "yes", you can download those games from that specific website and put on your website because......, or they would say "no" because.....

Most likely there is a disclaimer on the website that is making the games available for use on other people's websites.

This is important for two reasons:

First -- the disclaimer probably releases that site from any liability
connected to anyone who downloads and uses the games on their site -- but doesn't release the downloaders from any liability.

Second -- the disclaimer -- or somewhere on the site -- lists the copyright holders of the games.

Find this info and you will know who to contact to get your
answer.  This is because it is extremely unlikely that the game
download site can limit the game owner's legal rights in connection to
those who download the games.

Sorry, I mis-understood your question.

Good Luck!

Steve