The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

Banks and NSF fees

Customer Question

Recently I have developed a major problem. I opened a new account with a local bank. My employer requires direct deposit as a condition of working there. The mess started when I A. called employer to see if the direct deposit had kicked in and B: Called the bank and they told me indeed that two deposits were waiting to post the following business day. I ACTED ON THAT KNOWLEDGE I paid some bills and all of a sudden my bank sends a letter that my account is overdrawn!   I don't know what to do, they claim they are entitled to pull every dime from my account for NSF fees. So far it has cost me over $1900.00 in two months. I have begged them to stop but as soon as my weekly checks are deposited they take THEIR money first then pay what is been ran thru or they return it to the vendor. I nver know where I stand and I lived approximately 45 miles from work, I can barely afford gas! They have caused me to become behisd on all my bills. Why are they allowed to take every penny and not notifying me until 5-9 days after the fact? Furthermore, are they allowed to also charge too my account fees from the person I wrote a check to? They are doing that as well. Help!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Yes.  They are allowed to charge you NSF fees. 

I suggest that you stop drawing on the account right away.  Remove the direct deposit and have your check handed to you for the next few weeks.  Do not put it in the bank.  Do not write any checks or draw on the account in any way.

Any vendors that you have written bad checks to will let you know.  Pay them directly and pay their fees. 

After all of the charges have hit the bank and your account has been assessed for every overdraw or bad check, you should begin to pay back any money that you owe to the bank.  When you have your debt to the bank down to zero, start fresh with your account. 

You should NEVER write checks on money that is not already present in your account.  If you can't go to the ATM and SEE the money there, don't write a check.

I know that this is tough on you but you need to get it settled.

Let me know if you don't understand.

Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I have a couple of questions: Are you under the impression that the bank is taking the money in error? Have you asked to speak to a bank representative concerning this situation?

Please let me know.

Also, please refer to the previous specialist's response - as it is most accurate.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave