The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

Written contract

While working for a local water softener company, I received free of charge a water softener and RO water unit as a benefit of working there. On the contract written it states FREE for both items. I am no longer employed there, and now the company is trying to get me to pay $1000 for them. Because my contract says Free, and there is nothing on the contract stating that I have to pay if no longer employed with the company, do I have to pay them, or do I have the legal right not to because the contract states Free?

Greetings:

You have the legal right NOT to pay - if this is what the contract states.

You can write them a letter, certified mail, return receipt requested and advise them that according to your knowledge and belief, according to the said contract, there is no clause that states you must pay the $1,000 since you are no longer employed there. However, should you be mistaken, you would appreciate very much that they advise you immediately, by substantiating this fact .....let them know that perhaps it may just be overlooked by you  - and that if it is the case, that you will comply with such agreement. Ask them to contact you within 15 days from the date of the letter if they wish to offer you proof that you owe said monies. If not, then you will consider the matter closed. However, note that should they fail to contact you but yet take action against you for said monies owed -by turning this matter over to a collection agency or hiring an attorney or filing suit against you - well, you will have proof (by the letter you mailed them and by the certified receipt) - thus, you will more than likely prevail concerning this matter. Note that if they do persist to contact you - you always have the option of seeking legal counsel.

If you wish for further information, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience: 30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.