The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

shoplifting

Customer Question

I shoplifted a pair of pants in 1985 or 1984 I'm not sure what year and I was offered a job for which they want to do a background check will this come up? I was in my early thirties when it happened.
Expert:  Martye replied 11 years ago.
You Do not say if you were arrested and/or convicted.
However, employers can ONLY inquire about FELONY accounts, so unless the pants were VERY expensive, you'll be fine!!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Martye's Post: Thanks for your time on the shoplifting question. I plead guilty and was fingerprinted and went to a class. The pants were about $30 in value.
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

This appears to be a summary charge - I would simply advise the person in charge at the company for which you seek employment about same - advising that there was a summary charge. Matter resolved. No convictions. Be open and honest - it will be to your benefit.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave 

Expert:  Martye replied 11 years ago.
I would advise similar to "Mystic Wave"'s response ..BE HONEST!
However, as a buisness person and a former operations manager, I would suggest that you answer ALL questions on the application form TRUTHFULLY, BUT leave the Investigations to THEM! As I said before, they can only ask about FELONY convictions. (A $30 pair of jeans is not a felony, just an error in judgement)If you tell them you have "shoplifted" (and it sounds that you don't anymore) they may be afraid of hiring you, fearing you may steal from them.If this is the case, (that you may steal),they won't hire you.If they "investigate" and feel the same, they still won't hire you! You do not need to pay for your past "sins" forever! We have all made bad judgements in our past that we regret.
Be truthful in your answers, DON'T LIE and (in my opinion) don't tell them more than they ASK!(will you tell them of parking tickets, speeding, bankruptcy, etc. if they Don't ask??)
Hope you get the job... It sounds like you REALLY want it!!

Greetings:

My response is based on "laws", not opinion. By your question and information provided, this is a summary charge - thus, you only need to state so.....and leave it at that!

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave