T R Miller
T R Miller, Sun Tax Man
Experience:  Not legal advice, but answers to legal questions with tax implications.
4805

questioning a minor

Customer Question

I just recently gained guardianship of my niece and there is a police officer calling and asking to speak to her. When I ask what this is regarding he says I need to speak to her. Isnt there some sort of law that a parent or guardian must be presant? How do I know he is a cop when I asked for his phone number he said, "I am in the field a lot, I will call her back tomorrow."
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

By law, you do not have to have your niece speak to this person - if he is legit, he will give you his number, regardless. What you can do is to contact your local police department and explain the situation to a desk sergeant, get his/her name and badge number - that way they have your name on file, just in case this particular person is who he claims to be. You will not get into trouble.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  T R Miller replied 11 years ago.

Your situation sets off all kinds of alarms in my head. I cannot imagine any legitimate law enforcement officer making repeated telephone contacts without (1) positively identifying themselves (that is, their name and law enforcement agency they are with) and, (2) following the call up with a personal visit.

My opinion is to reaffirm what Mystic Wave has told you, AND,

- if you have caller ID, make note of the number this person is calling from and share that information with your local law enforcement.

- listen for any "background sounds" when this person calls. Those sounds could help law enforcement identify who this person could be and where they might be calling from.

- do not engage this person in any unnecessary conversation.

- do not share any personal information with this person.

Based on the information you have shared, I conclude the person calling is NOT a law enforcement officer at all - this opens a tremendously dangerous potential for (1) who this person could be and (2) what their intentions might be.

T R Miller, Sun Tax Man
Experience: Not legal advice, but answers to legal questions with tax implications.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to TheMysticWave's Post: Thank you so very much I will do as you suggest.
Denise Kiss

Greetings Denise:

I'm not certain that I was helpful, as you accepted another specialist's response - but, I can tell you that you do not have to make this into a big production - As I stated, all that needs to be done is to contact the local police department and let them know the situation...next time this person calls, let them know that you would appreciate their name and number and that you will get back to them...If he refuses, again, you can contact the police dept. again. They will handle it from there, or you can contact me and I can tell you how to proceed.

My best to you and your niece.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer

Mytic Wave has given you great advice. I disagree with her in that these kinds of situations DO need to be made into a "big production," so that they do not become an even "bigger" production, because of the potential for disaster.

It is my feeling that she should share in your "acceptance" and have so advised the Moderator of this site.

Mystic Wave,

I was tempted to mark my response "free" so she would recognize that you responded first and with a very good answer, but the more I pondered the possibilities, I thought it best to post my answer as is.

Greetings:

Oh dear - I see I didn't make myself quite clear -  I'm so very sorry.

I have handled matters like this for so many years - that there's a professional way to handle same. Please know that there are in fact law enforcement people who do call and refuse to leave their name and number and do happen to state that they are simply out in the field..............However, to confirm immediately, I suggested that you call the local police department to advise and have them investigate. As stated, get the desk sergeant's name and badge number. I didn't go into complete detail as I felt that the desk sergeant would be the one to advise you further.

I didn't mean to mislead you or perhaps other specialist(s)..... but, I truly feel at this point in time, it's not to be made into a major production (my thoughts were that the police department can guide you through this) - however, I did state: should this person call again, let them know that you would appreciate his name and number and that you will get back to him...If he refuses, again, you can contact the police dept. again. They will handle it from there, or you can contact me and I can tell you how to proceed.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave