The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

First Time Home Buyers getting a lemon

Customer Question

Me and my husband just purchase our first home, a 1957 ranch home in
Riverside California. We knew we had to update the home and do minor
remodeling. We added an interior door and once the wall was knock down to
install the door we discovered live termites. So we called the extermintor
that supposibly exterminated the house prior to us buying it (there is a
paper on the garage door saying so.) We was told by this company that they
did not exterminate the home they just repaired some rafter boards and we
would have to pay for the house to be exterminated. Also, our home has a
pool, when did a walk through the pool seemed fine, but when the home
inspector came out the water level was low and he could not test the pump.
We were worried but our Realtor stated she would have the seller add the
pool to the home warranty/insurance. Well we discovered that the pump was
not working and we had to use the insurance to buy another, once the pump
was installed we thought everything was OK, but my husband noticed the
water level kept going down. We called in pool service company to service
the pool and was told the pool has a leak. We contacted the insurance
company again and was told that they would send someone out but if the leak
in underground the policy does not cover that. We contacted our Realtor and
explained the problems we were having, our realtor contacted the listing
agent and was told that the seller had just got the pool resurfaced and was
under warranty for 1 year. We called the person that resurfaced the pool
and was told that he does not have any record of doing any work on the
pool, and my have been a person that worked for him that did jobs on the
side. At this point being first time buyers we are stumped. Who do we
contact now? Are we just stuck with 2 large repair bills? What should be
our next step? We purchased the house in December 2004. Please any advice
will help.

Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I'm sorry for your situation.

The house should have been inspected thoroughly before purchasing - the realtor is also responsible for making sure everything is in order.

I would contact the realtor again and discuss this in detail -- if nothing can be resolved, I would then contact a real estate attorney. I'm not certain that the selling party is fully responsible - although, they should have disclosed any problems prior to your signing - thus making them liable should they have withheld certain information - specifically, the issue concerning the pool, thus, please discuss this with the realtor or, if need be, an attorney in order to protect your rights.

If you wish for further information, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave