The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

divorce

Customer Question

my husband filed for a divorce i responded but nothing has happen since last april what can i do toget my divorce over with
Expert:  Nick Sparks replied 11 years ago.
What's the rush? It's usually the one who wants to "get it
over with" who ends up getting beaten up in the court
process.

Play it like you don't care. But, you can prod him. Ask him
to produce a draft separation agreement by a certain date.
If he does not, set another date and tell him you will file for
divorce if he does not respond.

Lawyers love to drag out divorces and charge for it. If you
think your hubbie doesn't want to pay lawyers, ask him if
he would consider skipping a lawyer and splitting the cost
of a mediator to prepare the separation agreement. Once
that is done, all you have to do is go through any waiting
period that may apply, take it before a judge, and have it
made final.

I highly recommend the mediator approach if the two of
you are able to think clearly and not try to make the other
miserable.

Good luck.

Nick
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nick Sparks's Post: im in a rush i want my divorce over with what can i do to get court date there are no lawyers just family law
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

Is your husband being represented by an attorney?

Have you contacted your husband to find out why there is a delay?

Have you appeared in court for any type of hearing on this matter?

Are children involved?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to TheMysticWave's Post: no attorney he filed in april of last year i responded an thats all that has happen what can i do to get a date in court

Greetings:

Thank you for responding and providing additional information.

I would first check with the clerk of the court to see what the status is - or you can check online - just enter the case number.

If no hearing date is currently scheduled, you should contact the clerk of the court - they will advise you - however, it will probably be that you will have to file a "motion to set case for hearing". You will need to pay a filing fee for said motion and you need to serve a copy of same on your husband.

If you have any further questions and/or need assistance in the paperwork, please let me know. Note that I am in California and I am very familiar with the courts and its' clerks.

Please take care.

My very best to you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience: 30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to TheMysticWave's Post: if the petitioner was not served copies of the responded will this delay the hearing if that is true can the motion to set case for hearing help or must i do something else thank you for your help

Greetings:

Thank you for accepting my response, it's greatly appreciated.

Yes, it would delay the hearing...thus, the papers must be served again. A motion to set case for hearing is necessary when the court has not set a date for hearing or to alert the court that all has been done and you are ready to proceed with case.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thank you again.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to TheMysticWave's Post: IS THE MOTION PAPER ATTACHED THE OSC PAPER OR CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE MOTION PAPER LOOKS LIKE
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to TheMysticWave's Post: THE LINK TO THE INFO YOU SENT DIDNT APPEAR CAN YOU SEND AGAIN