The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

landlord rights

Customer Question

We own a rental condo in Fairfax, Va. Recently the tenant informed us that they noticed water leaking in through the skylight in the living room. It caused water damage around the skylight and down the wall. The condo association was called and they sent out a person to inspect and take care of the situation. We received a call from the contractor stating that he completed the work and that when he submitted the invoice of the repairs to the association, after them saying that they would pay for it, they said they were not going to pay for it. They told the contractor that water damage caused by the skylight was not covered and that the landlord was responsible. 1. We never received a call or written noticed from the contractor regarding the repairs. After talking with him he called the condo association and they okay the repairs and responsibilities for payment. Are we response to pay for this repair, eventhough, we NEVER received a call or written estimate from the contractor. And we didn’t even call this contractor to go to the apartment the Condo Association did.

If we are not responsible how do we notify the condo association that they are responsible (written notification/do we need to seek legal representation)?

Thank YOu
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

If the condo association called the contractor and sent the contractor out to provide an estimate and to make repairs, then the condo association is responsible for the bill - providing that what you state wherein you were never notified of this matter is true and correct and can testify to same in a court of law.

In order to confirm that you are not responsible for the repairs, simply write a letter to the condo association stating this fact and send it certified mail, return receipt requested. You may or may not wish to add that in the future, any such repairs that the "owner" is responsible for, that it should be brought to your attention beforehand so that there are no more misunderstandings. Keep a copy of the letter for your records. If the condo association does not take care of this matter and you are notified that you are responsible for the bill, I would then seek the advice and counsel of an attorney.

I hope this has helped. If you wish for further information, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave