The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal
Experience:  30 yrs. exp. in the legal profession. Specializing in Personal Injury, Criminal, Civil & more.
6999

falsely reported money owed to compnay to credit bureaus.

Customer Question

Can you take legal action against a company that falsely reports to the credit bureaus that you own them money?
Expert:  Emprrac replied 12 years ago.
A civil suit you could take, but most likely they will claim it was a mistake, and if you try criminal legal action same deal. Best thing for you to do i stake the false reports and receits or whatever proof you have and contact equifax and other credit bureau's immediately and also notify the company that you are contacting your lawyer about this matter firstly, they may just be able to fix the issues. If you go after them this will take years, and ontop of that they will likely just deny it. Either way you are in a double wammy, because if you go for some sort of suit you will be taking a long time and spending alot of money for this, and after everything is straightened out by equifax and other compnaies,(which they are mostly all connected) it will take a while for them to fix that blemish on your credit rating. It is aweful when they due this speaking from personal experince. Thank you
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
well, let me give you a little better scenario of this. This is an apartment complex that I'm speaking of. I and my fiance at the time had a lease that ended on Dec. 8th 2002. I paid my prorated part for the December of $88.71. About two months after I move out, I get a letter from them saying I still owe them $88.71. So I went up there and showed them my bank statement and proof that it was paid. Now here it is a year and a half later and I just all of a sudden get a collections notice in the mail for this, me and my wife both! I have pulled my statement and proof again but have not gone up there yet. I have ran a report with all 3 credit bureaus. They all show it on there. It was reported to them on March 2003. And I am still using the same address that I gave them when I left those apartments. So they have no excuse about not sending me a letter before they sent it to collections, because I never received a letter from them after I proved it to them the first time. This was the worse apartment complex I had ever lived in, and I hate them with a passion. I'd love to be able to stick it to them if there is any chance of me being able to.
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 12 years ago.

Greetings:

I am a legal secretary/paralegal with 28 years experience in the State of California. Of course, you can take legal action against the company, however, do you have proper documentation to substantiate your claim? The burden of proof is on you. If you believe that you have valid proof, you will need to contact an attorney to represent you. Attorneys do not charge a fee unless the case settles, and then they take their percentage fee - however, in some cases (if the case does not settle) one may have to pay any costs incurred, such as the case filing fee (lawsuit), should it go that far. The attorney may just need to write a letter to the company advising that he/she is representing you and they might respond by saying they wish to negotiate settlement in order to avoid litigation.

Again, it's important that you have solid proof - as there's no reason to file a frivolous lawsuit (and, certainly, you would have difficulty finding an attorney to represent you) - if you filed on your own, the case would be thrown out of court, possibly by way of a Summary Judgment, not to mention you may be held responsible for defendant's attorney's fees.

If you wish for further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave