Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I neeed a vet i think she is only maybe a week old, she was

Customer Question

i neeed a vet i think she is only maybe a week old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the large animal?
Customer: she was dumped in my van and we have decided to help she has diaharea dehydrated i haveh no idea what to feed her
JA: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the large animal's name?
Customer: she is maybe two pounds her nme is honey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about honey?
Customer: she is maybe a week old she is a pot bellied pig she was covered with hundreds of bugs now she has diaharea she waas abandoned in my vehicle on saturday we have most og the bugs off of her
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor wee lass!

You are star for taking her in and helping her in this very serious state. Now I am glad you have gotten the bugs off her since many parasites will bleed a little one dry. Though if she has diarrhea at this age, we do need to be very careful. E.coli is a top suspect and often we need them on antibiotics; so she may need to be seen locally so those can be dispensed for her.

Otherwise, what we need to do right now is make sure she is kept warm, fed, and we are slowing the diarrhea. To start, she needs to be at a ~85-90*F, so she needs to be under a heat lamp or you need to put her on a heating pad. Of course, whatever you use make sure to monitor closely to avoid overheating. For food, it would be ideal to head to your local farm supply shop for sow milk replacer as this will be balanced for a piglet's needs. IF you cannot get that, then you can use goats milk. You can gently bottle feed this and will need to offer meals every 2-3 hours. Often they only take small volumes (but you will notice a wee full belly) and thus why we give so many feeds. And since she has diarrhea, we may need to alternate feeds with Pedialyte to get more fluids in and replenish lost electrolytes. She likely will need to be fed through the night at this age but once she is more stable and ~2 weeks, we can probably reduce the overnight feeds (stopping at midnight, starting back at 7am)And to any of these we can add a bit of canned pumpkin just as a fiber supplement to firm her stools and also Gerber's rice baby cereal (very watered down but making it more of a paste by 2 weeks of age). As well, we'd want to start her on OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol (1-2 ml every 8-12 hours) to slow her diarrhea for her.

Overall, she is lucky you have found her but she sounds in a state. So, we need to start the above now but if that diarrhea is severe or persistent, then we'd need a check with her local vet +/- stool testing so that we can get antibiotics and give her a chance here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.