Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Lower leg inflammation and soreness in a 4 week old calf, No

Customer Question

Lower leg inflammation and soreness in a 4 week old calf
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound just swelling around the knee
JA: What is the calf's name?
Customer: Lol 288
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the calf?
Customer: I have 48 of them
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on the signs you are reporting, we'd be most suspicious of joint ill (infectious arthritis) or a possible joint based trauma.

Now without a culture of the joint fluid, we cannot readily differentiate between the two. Though given how common joint ill is at this age, we'd want to either have your vet tap the joint so that the fluid can be cultured (to confirm it is bacterial, ID the bacteria, and check drug sensitivity) or we'd want to start a broad spectrum antibiotic. For the latter, we'd base our treatment from knowledge (and a little hope) of what bacteria most often causes this condition and what drugs they will respond to. Therefore, as common culprits are E. coli and mycoplasmas; we'd aim to use either Penicillin or Oxytetracycline as a first line option. As well, we can gently warm compress this joint t try to reduce discomfort and swelling. If you do not have a warm compress at home, you can make one by filling a sock 2/3rds full of uncooked rice. This can be microwaved for a minute or so until warm. Shake it to distribute the heat (and do check its not too warm). This can be rewarmed as needed. And of course, if we were to treat with these and not see improvement, then a sterile tap of the joint for culture would be indicated.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )