Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

We have 2 calves that are sick I am thinking they have

Customer Question

we have 2 calves that are sick I am thinking they have pneumonia one is really bad tonight. I first treated them with penicillin a few days ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the calf?
Customer: they were coughing when we bought 8 days ago, about 220 lbs calves from a stockyard
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the calf's name?
Customer: they are not named
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the calf?
Customer: I gave them a shot of LA 300 TONIGHT
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee ones' situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Are they isolated from other stock?

Are you seeing nasal discharge? What color?

Was it just a one off dose of Penicillin? What dose?

What dose of LA 200 did you use?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count each ones breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
white nasal discharge, 2 doses, 6 ml La300
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The la 300 was tonight
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we do see respiratory infections in cattle for a range of reasons. Often it is bacterial but we can see primary viral pneumonia or even parasitic pneumonia with secondary bacterial infiltration. Now that was quite a short course of Penicillin but I am glad to see that you have changed to the LA300 (Oxytetracycline) as this has a better spectrum for respiratory infections. Of course, we need to see how they respond over the next 48 hours, since otherwise we may need a prescription option (ie Draxxin, Nuflor, etc) or need a local vet to sample the discharge for culture/sensitivity.

Otherwise, further to the antibiotics, you will want to ensure these calves are isolated from the herd airspace to reduce the risk of spread. If they are severely congested, you can steam treat with a nebulizer/humidifier +/- see if your vet can dispense a decongestant (ie Bromhexine). As well, if they are quite severe here, we could also carefully administer a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (ie Flunixin) to reduce airway inflammation and ease their breathing as we give the antibiotic a chance to work.

Overall, your approach has been reasonable for these two calves and you do now have them on a good antibiotic for this type of disease. So, we'd want to use the above supportive care to reduce the side effects of this as we give the LA300 a chance to work. But if we don't see improvement in 48 hours, we'd need to think about having them sampled by their vet and potentially using those more potent prescription options here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.