Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

Looking for answers to treat rolled toe in a cow

Customer Question

looking for answers to treat rolled toe in a cow
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Gimpy's troubles. Rolled toe is best treated with frequent hoof trimmings as it looks like you have already tried. The trouble with this type of hoof issue is that its two most common causes are genetics or low-grade and constant laminitis. Genetically predisposed cows never do fully get over it, but frequent trimming can make them more comfortable and mobile.

Laminitis is another word for founder. Cattle can have laminitis similar to what horses get. It is usually caused by high concentrates in the diet or other inciting inflammatory causes. The constant inflammation actually causes the hoof walls to separate from the toe bones leading to pain and disfigurement of the hoof. Acute laminitis can be treated by removing the inciting cause if it is known, such as removing concentrates from the diet, and then proper trimming until the hoof grows out. Constant laminitis can cause permanent issues so that the hoof never will grow straight.

Basically, if you are having continued trouble with Gimpy's hooves even after several frequent hoof trimmings, it is probably going to a be an ongoing issue with which there is no cure.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 16 days ago.
Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gimpy. How is everything going?

Dr-Bonk