Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My Angus heifers all seem to have the runs. They were

Customer Question

My Angus heifers all seem to have the runs. They were purchased in two lots and all seem to have very runny poo. Why and what should I do?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 27 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
They feed on grass and The occasional buds cut of Lucerne hay
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Biscuit of Lucerne hay
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The paddocks are very green with lots of fresh grass at the moment

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The most common cause for this is the stress of a change in environment along with a worm load. The first thing to do is to take a few representative samples to your vet for evaluation and then worm all of them with an Ivermectin product if this has not been done. There are many causes of diarrhea in a herd of animals and this is the most common. An examination with cultures will tell us if this is bacterial, viral or due to Giardia or Coccidia. The treatment will depend on the results of this exam.

In most cases such as this, treating with the wormer will resolve this problem.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

The fresh grass can cause diarrhea if these heifers are not used to this. In this case, only allow them on this grass for short periods at first so they can get used to this rich feed that they probably were not used to.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Am I correct if I say that the whole herd will be effected equally. So I can recover the specimen from any puddle on the ground?
Take representative samples from the worst ones that you see nad have then evaluated. In the meantime, make sure to worm them all with an ivermectin product. That would cover your bases.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 24 days ago.
Hi Gino,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta