Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My adult female goat is unable to stand - happened quickly.

Customer Question

my adult female goat is unable to stand - happened quickly. She is taking feed and water, but immobile
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the goat?
Customer: can't stand up - leg weakness. just happened yesterday maybe she ate a rotting pumkin we had in the pen?
JA: The veterinarian will know if the goat will be able to digest that. What is the goat's name?
Customer: blanche
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about blanche?
Customer: we have her in a pen with a pig - they have co-habituated for years - otherwise, nothing new - she has been very healthy. About 4 years old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a number of conditions that can cause this in Blanche. One is a traumatic injury to her spinal cord that you may not even see and this causes inflammation of the spinal cord at that area blocking off the nerve supply to her rear legs or if this is in the cervical region, this would block the nerve supply to front and rear legs. Treatment for this would be steroid injections to decrease this inflammation to release the nerves so movement can be regained. You can start by giving her aspirin at 5 mg per pound of her weight every 12 hrs which will also decrease this inflammation.

This could also be caused by an infection within the spinal cord called an Encephalitis and this is much more difficult to treat. Without knowing what virus or bacteria could be causing this, it is smart to start her on a broad spectrum antibiotic as well as the steroids or aspirin to cover all of your bases. Try to get her up a few times per day so the muscles are not crushed while in this position which could make things worse.

If there is no improvement, have your vet examine her since there are other more serious conditions that may require further diagnostics and treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta