Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  I have worked with different Animals from Horses to livestock
5071285

I have a 1 week old feral piglet I have been giving

Customer Question

I have a 1 week old feral piglet I have been giving supplement to and he developed scours. I got some terra vet 10 6.4 oz but I need to break it down to 1gal.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the piglet?
Customer: He developed scours
JA: Where does the piglet seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't hurt. He eats good. I cut the supplement back to 2/3 water 1/3 supplement
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is the piglet bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding just runny loose stool
JA: What is the piglet's name?
Customer: Wilbur
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Wilbur?
Customer: No. I have given him pepto bismal.I don't think it is working
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to try to assist you with Wilbur.

Scours, can be due to coccidia, Ecoli, or Clostridia among other bacterial and parasitic issues. I would like to suggest having a stool sample done and start him on an Antibiotic to tray and see if you can get it under control. As far as feeding try adding some Pure Canned Pumpkin diluted with some pedialyte and formula into a slurry to help slow the problem. The Canned pumpkin is a high fiber food and may help form up the stool some, but over all I would conside having the stool examined for the issues I mentioned and getting the proper antibiotic to treat Wilbur for the scours. This can be deadly for Wibur if not resolved, due to dehydration.

Joan