Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My baby chihushua 5nonths old juat found a alprazolam tab

Customer Question

my baby chihushua 5nonths old juat found a alprazolam tab 2mg he be ok? swilliwed it? wirried
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does he weigh?

How long ago did he eat this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

It appears you are struggling to reply, so I will post my thoughts about Cheiko's situation. This is a drug we use in dogs but 2mg is a 40lb dog dose. So, we could see adverse signs like excessive sedation and loss of motor control.

Therefore, we need to act fast. Ideally, we'd want to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

And if you have any struggles with the above, you can get him to your ER vet to do this for you and start fluids to flush this out of his system. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my chihushua ��6 'oil and in worried heo okeadr
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

If he is only 6lbs, then you need to do the above right now. This is a 6x overdose and it could cause sedation and collapse.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my old chihuahua im worried but hum my lil baby he ok at min but sirt itvrarly please
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Your spelling is making it very hard to interpret what you are typing. But again you need to induce vomiting or get him to the ER vet now. This is much too high a dose for him and we would be worried about collapse. So, if you cannot do the above for any reason, get him seen by your local vet right away to avoid any risk.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could kill him was just ��2x 2mg long aoraalprazolam
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

It is a risk with such a high overdose, which is why I am telling you to intervene now and get him bringing this back up.

Dr. B.