Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  I have worked with different Animals from Horses to livestock
5071285

I have a 10 year old goat with a bump on his cheek. He

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old goat with a bump on his cheek. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. He eats and drinks. It is located on his cheek. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the goat's name?
Customer: Festus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Festus?
Customer: Not really. He has been very healthy to date
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. A bump on the cheek of a Goat can be several issues from a Blocked Salivary gland, a tooth root abscess, and impacted cheek where food has gotten caught in the area, the goat maybe has bitten the cheek, or the last issue is a serious once called CLA Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis (C. ovis), which is highly contagious to other goats. This is some information on CLA: http://www.goatworld.com/articles/cl/cl4.shtml

With the possible issues that this can be I have to advise having you Vet check Festus and do a Fine Need Aspiration of the bump to determine what it is and the best way of treating it. In many cases this is nothing more than a blocked salivary gland, but I have to suggest a Hands on exam to make sure Festus will get the proper treatment for this issue becfore it can get worse.

Please let me know if you have concerns about this information.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

How is Festus doing? Want to check on him and se if you have had him examined.

Joan