Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a pig about 55 lbs with breathing problems and snotty

Customer Question

I have a pig about 55 lbs with breathing problems and snotty nose, I injected 2 cc of Noromycin 300 LA yesterday and fever is gone he looks so much better. My question is do I treat with this medicine a day or two more oris this a one time shot?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: Bits I get these pigs to feed out there not potbelly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pig?
Customer: He's about 3 months old and I have been dealing with breathing issues the whole time with him.
JA: What is the pig's name?
Customer: Bits
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you today.

Now this is a preparation we can use daily or as a one-off dose based on the total dose given in the first injection. So, if Bits is 55lbs and you gave a 2cc dose (which works out to 10mg per pound), that is a one-off dose. So, you do not need to retreat here and can monitor at this point. If we needed to continue it, then you could give 1cc daily for up to 3 more doses. But with such a high dose on board, we don't likely need to do that for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much, I guess if his fever comes back I can dose 1cc. For three days and he should be ok?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Yes, that sounds like a perfect plan and hopefully we can get Bits over this. And I would just note that you can steam treat him (ie take him in the bathroom while running a hot shower or a humidifier) to reduce his congestion further. Finally, if this persists (less likely if he has responded so well here), then we may need a check up just in case he has managed to catch a bacterial airway infection that is only partially sensitive to this drug.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.